Backing Up Files with Time Machine - MAC

photowoman77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. I am wondering if anyone backs up their photo files on a MAC using Time Machine? I must admit that I have never backed any of my work up before(dumb I know), but after hearing about to hard drives crashing I thought it was time I do so before I end up losing years worth of work. So do you use time Machine to back up? If so, do you also need an external hard drive? Do you use the time machine application to back up to an external? Or if you don't use time machine what do you use? Am I right in that Time Machine is an automatic back up system? Meaning that as I work, the program itself just backs up to the external automatically? Also since I never have backed up files before, when I do so for the first time will it back up all the old files on my computer? Thank you for your help!

Yes, Time Machine does automatic incremental backups hourly, daily and weekly. You can do full backups on the fly. The first time it is used, it will do a full backup. It won't use the system disk so you need another disk partition for the backups; this could be an external drive, separate internal drive or even another partition on the same drive, though that wouldn't be the best choice.

Accessing and restoring the backups is simple - you basically use Finder.

Thank you for your response. Do you recommend any external hard drive in particular?

I use time machine as well. It doesn't slow my computer down at all. It will copy everything on the computer which is nice for files/videos etc.

Make sure you buy something that will hold everything that is on there plus what you may add in the near future.

I tend to buy at Costco on sale.

Western Digital and Seagate make good products.

I use Time Machine. It backs up to a Time Capsule. The only time I hate it is when I have to use Parallels for a win only app I need. When it is backing up, Parallels runs very slow

Most reactions

Back