Backing up pictures...

EljayK004

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Obviuosly we want everything backed up, but it doesn't really make sense to burn a DVD everytime I empty a 1GB memeory card, so I was wondering what everyone else does with the pictures that are "in queue" to be burned. Right now I use a 2 folder set-up and don't delete the cards until they are burned, but I was wondering what everyone else does to see if anyone has any better ideas (I'm sure someone does...)

i always burn a 1gb card on to a dvd.

it saves losing any and a disc only costs bout 20p

I have 2 locations I put the files on. First is my local secondary hard disk. From there it goes to a small 40gb USB portable drive, so in essence, while I am working on pics, in general I will have 3 copies of the files for a while.

When I have enough for 2 full DVDs, I burn them, verify them, then delete the ones on my hard drive and 40gb portable drive. The ones on the CF card are removed when I format the card in camera.

The DVDs go on their own container, in an enclosed shelf on my computer desk that is dark, dry and cool. Up to now, I have somthing like 2 containers of 100 CDs and DVDs each that I have collected so far.

The lifespan of a hard drive is sometimes measured in months (something like 3-5 years). The life of a CD/DVD in the kind of environment that I have mine in is averaged out to 150 years.

external hard drive...done and done...

Are you guys sure that dvd's are stable for that long? I know I have some that I burned movies on about 2 years ago that have been in a dvd book and never touched. I have tried to watch them and they skip towards the end of the movie. All of them do this at about the same point so its not an isolated thing.

I am just wondering about the actual lifespan of these devices. Not trying to hijack this thread justget more input and options into backing up.

Right now I use an external hard drive. I will start using dvd's also if you guys can tell me that the lifespan is even close to 20 years.

-Puma-

Most reactions

Back