Backpack Recommendations

This is a great thread. I have 2 dakins and they work well for my equipment but do not have room for my laptop or anything else for that matter. Thanx for posting.

I like the Kata bag designs but the straps are subpar. They sacrifice comfort so you can tuck them behind the pad and convert your pack into a sling. Would be better to just have better padded straps with loops for accessories and chest strap as well as a thicker, more padded waist strap. The waist strap on Kata's are pretty thin and cut into you. I sometimes have to walk around all day with my camera gear on my back and a Kata pack would definitely get uncomfortable fast. On the other hand, I have a Tamrac Adventure 9. Very nice straps and EVA back padding but access isn't so great. You have to lay the pack down to get at anything. There are other models that have side doors but that's a weak option that mostly allows you to put your camera away. I live with it for now since it also has a laptop sleeve for field use. I also have a Think Tank Retrospect 10, which is great. Just not for carrying for extended times. Best for shorter jaunts and quick jobs.

I am also looking for a large back for my camera and hiking stuff because I am preparing for the Inca Trail in august. I am considering the Naneu Pro Adventure K5 Photo Hiking Backpack because it has a detachable camera compartiment which can be used on your belly, providing fast access to the camera without needing to put the main backpack down to take a photo.

I am a new user, so I can not post links, but you can find it at B&H.

[]'s
Antonio

The contrejour 40 looks awesome. Also I would suggest investing in a nice small sleeping bag like McNugget's. I used one of those last year and it was awesome and extremely small.
I see a little contradiction in what you are wanting/asking for... easy camera access to a backpack will imply the backpack has to come off which contradicts with easy fast access; perhaps a separate bag would be a better idea, not to mention this can be used on its own at any given time.

I already have my sleeping bag, with the compression bag so it shrinks down nicely. Some packs I'm looking at have the bottom side compartment (like the contrejour-40), which was more or less what I was referring to.

Just trying to get everything smaller and lighter in order to go bigger and the click hiker is a heavy pack. Dont get me wrong.. i love it. Also I recently attended the Outdoor retailer show in SLC and fell in love with the new line of Clik Elite packs that will come out later this spring.
http://www.clikelite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Clik_Cat_2011_email.pdf
The one i really liked was the venture 35, just seemed perfect for day hikes with no camping.

Thanks for the info McNugget, that is good to know. I'm a pretty tiny girl, so the lighter the better!

Thanks for the info McNugget, that is good to know.

welcome, you live in a awesome area. I Love Glacier and try to make it up there every few years.

I just ordered a Clik elite Contrejour 40 and was wondering if anyone else has one that can give me some info on it? Good pack? My other option was to just to use my Mystery Ranch pack that I already own but it is twice as heavy as the Clik. I would be using it for day hikes is all for now and travelling/flying.

This is current pack I have and I just have an divider set from a Pelican case that fits perfect in it...

Mystery Ranch Longbow Pack

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back