Backpack?

joshmmorrison

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal, I'm going on a missions trip and I need to carry everything on me (couple sets of clothes, nothing major). I want to bring my camera with me because I'm going to be in another country for 3 months and don't want to go through this experience without it. Any suggestions on a backpack that has room for my camera (d40 so it's small, and a couple of lenses) as well as room for clothes as well? Most backpacks im finding are solely for camera equipment or solely for everything else. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Basically get a good Hiking / backpacking pack... of the capacity you need. For the camera gear, I would get either a hard box (pelican or similar) or a small gear bag that would fit in the pack. You could also go with small padded pouches for each lens and body.. but that doesn't offer as much protection, and can get disorganized. This is my experience from multi-week backpacking trips... hope it helps. Most of the "Camera" bags will not allow you to hold much other gear... unless you find a hybrid pack. They are available.

Here is a link to a good article on the hybrid packs... Gadget Bag: Hybrid Backpacks - Outdoor Photographer | OutdoorPhotographer.com

I recommend an Ape Case product. They're camera bags; however if you get one that's too big for your camera gear, you then have room for your other stuff. This is a better option than putting your camera in a "normal" unpadded bag. I have the mid-size Ape Case purely for camera gear and I love it. Hands down a great purchase. If you get the larger one it is very easy to adjust the compartments to suit your needs.

If I were going to be living out of a backpack for a few months, I'd use a camping/backpack style pack (because I already have a nice one). Then I'd get a pelican case that would fit the camera gear I want and figure out a way to strap it to the outside of the pack or make sure I get one that fits inside.

If I were going to be living out of a backpack for a few months, I'd use a camping/backpack style pack (because I already have a nice one). Then I'd get a pelican case that would fit the camera gear I want and figure out a way to strap it to the outside of the pack or make sure I get one that fits inside.

I agree ( I wrote that above!).. it would be his best bet!

Most reactions

Back