Backpacking with Camera Gear--Advice?

ironsidephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ironsidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be going to India/Tibet from September through December, and then to Costa Rica from January to May. I don't know about Costa Rica yet, but for India I will be taking a large internal frame backpack as my main suitcase. I will, however, need some sort of daypack and/or something to carry my laptop ('bout a 15"er) and camera gear in (D200, couple of lenses, flash if i decide to take it, batteries, flash cards, etc.). Does anyone have any suggestions on good multi-use daypack-type bags? I was thinking something along these lines, but any advice will be great.

Any other tips on backpacking with expensive gear? Also, tips on carrying this daypack along with my backpacking pack?

Thanks!

I can't open your link so I'm not sure which bags you're looking at, but make sure they have a built-in water-proof cover. I'd also suggest getting a hiking staff with a 1/4-20 screw on top, that way it can double as a monopod. Also make sure you have universal power adapters. Yes, your camera charger will deal with the current/freq differences, but your North American plug won't fit in those outlets. If you're not already an experienced hiker/back-packer, I'd suggest spending a lot of time with both packs, work up to your anticipated max load in stages, and then go past it by about 15%. Other than that, have a great trip - it sounds awesome!

i Just got my Tamrac adventure 7. I can fit my sb600, d70 with 18-70, 70-300, 50mm 1.8 and i have one more spot left for another lens. I would get the 7 because people have had issues with getting the 9 on planes as a carry on. It took me 3 months to make a choice, and im satisfied with the 7.

Anyone know if the Tamrac Adventure series is waterproof?

For actual backpacking I like to use my camera with the 28 - 80 zoom lens. Its about the size of a small water bottle and I can support the camera in the watter bottle holder. I tie the camera strap to my bag and it is rather secure but at the same time easy to access. When it started to rain I wrapped the camera up in a bag and put it away, I need to find a way to waterproof the camera.

You might look to see if you can find the Adventure 10. I recently saw it in Shutterbug mag and it is for sure bigger than the 9 (obviously) I think the 9 suffers from not enough space in the top compartment. If you are not taking any very large lenses you might try the Lowepro version http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388729-REG/Lowepro_34731_CompuRover_AW_Backpack.html this i the way to go if you are not trying to carry any lenses like the 70-200 VR 2.8 but it will carry saveral of the smaller lenses plus the top campartment is extremely large and to boot the rain cover works very very well.

i'll be taking a 70-300 f/5.6, a 28-80 f/3.5, and a 50 prime f/2.8 macro. i also have an sb-600. that's all the gear i have, so it's the most i'll take--if i take all of it. i probably have to be concerned with walkign in crowds in india, as well as carrying it while i'm wearing a big internal frame backpacking pack. any ideas of something that i could maybe strap on/attach to the pack while i'm hiking?

turning out ot be quite the hastle!

anyone have opinions on lowepro's all weather cover packs vs their dryzone backpacks? it will be monsoon season in india when I go, and i am assuming it will be raining a lot when i go to costa rica, as i will be in the rainforest most of the time.

I'm currently living in Kathmandu, Nepal, smack bang in the middle of Inida and Tibet.

It looks like the monsoon is going to start early this year, so depending on when in September you arrive it could well be over or at least majorly easing off. It was done with mid Sept last year and it came late last year.

Biggest problem with your gear in these parts is dust (end of monsoon is actually when the dust is at its best, but there is still heaps of dust!). I also shoot a d200 the body is great, more of a problem for non weather sealed zoom lenses, as they can suck the dust inside the lens - where you can't clean unless you or someone else pulls the lens apart. So be aware of it, avoid zooming quickly (as to reduce the vacuum your creating) and make sure you have a bulb blower, and other cleaning items that you prefer. Personally I use a bulb blower, brusher blower, micro fibre cloths and a lens pen.

Of course the most important thing in regards to your gear is travel insurance. Make sure (doube, triple check) it covers your gear to the nth degree for all possible circumstances.

Take the time to learn some of the local lingo (greetings, thank you's) and some of the cultural norms (i.e. they really don't like shorts in these parts), and when to use them. Not only does this show a certain level of respect but should find it will help you to get better photos, particularly of people.
India is somewhat ‘crazier’ than Tibet or Nepal, so be aware of your surrounds and use your common sense in regards to your security and the security of your gear – particularly so if you’re female (don’t want to sound sexist by any means but that’s the way it is).

As you no doubt would understand the lighter you can travel the more you will enjoy yourself. I would cull anything that isn't completely necessary and then some. If you find you overdo it you will be able to find most things pretty cheaply in India.

If you have any specific questions about region I would be more than happy to help answer your questions.

(Oh, and you should most definitely include sometime in Nepal on your trip! To be so close and to not to come would be most unfortunate!)

great tips!

i will be arriving in delhi on september 2, traveling around india some, then i'll be spending most of my time in dharamsala (northern india). i'll spend a few weeks in tibet, and will actually be ending my trip in kathmandu. I don't know how long i'll be there, but hopefully it will be a good amount of time!

i hadn't thought about the dust much...here in arkansas we don't worry about those things. i'm glad to hear the d200 is good, but i guess i'll just have to wait and see how my lenses hold up. any cleaning gear/technique tips?

and like i asked before, does anyone have opinions on lowepro's all-weather cover packs instead of their dryzone ones?

the adventure series is good in water. the fabric does not soak up water and there are huge zipper covers. i would trust mine in the rain, any day.
as far as dust, just dont be stupid. Change your lenses when its safe, if its not then miss the shot. keep a plastic bag in your pocket and wrap your camera when it gets bad.

I can attest to the performance of the Lowepro AW cover for at least a day of rain. When I was in Mexico I got caught in what I could only consider a monsoon for a good while and used my AW cover and my bag and gear were totally dry when all was over.

The Tamrac you're looking at should be a pretty decent size. Best to make sure you can fit in anything that you absolutely can't lose in your carry-on into that bag.

To save a lot of aggravation, try to fit your daypack into your main pack. Otherwise if you've got one pack on front & one on your back while walking around you'll feel super bulky & sweaty. Where you're going you can buy new clothes pretty cheaply so no sense dragging a whole bunch with you. TiredIron's advice is perfect- practice carrying everything around for a while before you'll go and it'll help you decide what you want to take & what you don't want to drag around.
If you want to be sure the camera section is secure while it's on your back you can buy small locks to keep the zipper pulls together to dissuade anyone from curious exploring. Not a bad idea in hostels either.

Sounds like an awesome trip :thumbup:

I doubt that I'll be able to fit my photo gear backpack into my main pack--i'll be there for an entire semester, so my main pack will be pretty darn full. But yeah, I'm concerned about how i'm going to carry both a daypack and a backpacking pack. maybe i'll just tie the daypack to the back of the other one and hope i don't topple over to the demise of my gear. anyone know of good gear insurance? :D Any daypacks that could be carried easily not on your back if necessary?

Note that this trip isn't photo-based. it's a study abroad program, so i'll be taking classes and such--the photo gear is just my personal--'tag-along,' if you will--thing to figure out.

Most reactions

Back