Backpacks

well not knowing what gear you have I would recommend you get a steamer trunk, or a small U-Haul trailer. think about how what you ask of people sounds before asking. it wastes everyone's time.

well not knowing what gear you have I would recommend you get a steamer trunk, or a small U-Haul trailer. think about how what you ask of people sounds before asking. it wastes everyone's time.

What I meant was, Should I go ahead and just get the bigger one for future gear...

What I meant was, Should I go ahead and just get the bigger one for future gear...

Nope. You're not buying a computer where more RAM or more HD space will be useful down the road. You're buying something on the basis of fit--will it fit how you'll use it and will it fit your body.

Think about how you're going to use it. It doesn't matter if you get the bigger or smaller one and then you do lots of shooting where you need immediate access (and can't wait to take it off your back). I have a camera backpack, a converted Under Armour daypack with a Timbuktu insert, a Tamrac holster, a messenger back with insert and room for my MacAir, a fanny pack big enough to hold my body and a 200mm f2.8 plus 2 bottles of water, and a tactical vest. What I use depends upon the situation I'll be shooting in.

Also, fit is critical. Go try 'em on and see which one rides better on you. What feels fine on me may dig in to your hips. What is comfy for you may rupture a disc on me. Buying a backpack or messenger bag or sling without getting a feel for the feel is crazy. Unless you're just buying the backpack to store stuff in at home and then carry stuff when you fly and you're not actually going to use it as a backpack. In which case how it rides on you and the weight distribution doesn't matter.

For what it's worth, I almost never use my camera backpack--it doesn't fit how I shoot. I almost never go places without my sling or messenger bag.

Most reactions

Back