Backyard Visitor

s_marolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This guy was hanging out in the backyard today. I was able to get fairly close and think I got a decent shot.

DSC_0893.JPG

Nice capture. The only problem is that you have cropped off its tail and legs. I do like that you have the background nicely out of focus and that the image is nice and sharp. I would also clone out that stick on the left as it is a bit of a distraction.

WesternGuy

The second one is a way better shot. His head is much more in focus than the first. And also now because we can see the rest of the busy bottom of the photo, the reeds don't need to be cloned over, in my opinion. They are no longer tiny random distractions in an otherwise uniform background; they are a more integrated part of the scene he's in.

The second one is much better - I would still remove the light-coloured reed just to the left of its tail feathers. I wouldn't worry about the ones on the right of the bird at the bottom. As far as removing things from an image, most software packages, Lightroom, Photoshop, ON1, etc., have some sort of "clone" tool, or "healing" tool, or both. Trust me, it is one that you will definitely want to learn about. It has helped me "fix" a lot of my images. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Yep, second shot for sure. Always include the tail and feet. Its either that, or get real close in for a head shot.

All the best and nice shot. Love the colours of your Heron's.

Danny.

Now you're cooking with gas! Great job on the second one. Perfect example of why we are told to keep our original shots.

Thank everyone for the advice and kind words. I'll keep practicing and hopefully get more keepers.

Funny story I saw the heron out back and was trying to be stealthy to get some decent shots. My son came barging out the back door and almost went up to pet the heron and it didn't fly away. Not the best shot as focus is off but funny none the less. The shots above were after this as he stuck around another few minutes.

PSX_20160914_222649.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back