Bad CCD senor?

AlucardZero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, my parents just got a new camera (Canon T1i or 500D) and it appears to me that in low light photos with high iso/exposure time there are red dots in the middle of those photos. Is this a bad sensor or can you just simply clean it? Any help. Oh and I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure where to post this.

Hey, my parents just got a new camera (Canon T1i or 500D) and it appears to me that in low light photos with high iso/exposure time there are red dots in the middle of those photos. Is this a bad sensor or can you just simply clean it? Any help. Oh and I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure where to post this.

The red dots are digital noise. When you use a high ISO's you get more noise in the picture.
It has something to do with more electricity being used heating the sensor and that causes electrons to be freed messing up the photo (or something like that) Don't ask me to get detailed.
High ISO = Noise
Long exposure = Noise
Noise = BAD

Hot pixels.

I hate linking to him, but this was actually the best explanation I fond on the first page of a quick search:
Hot Pixels

You can just clone them out...

Not sure what software you're using, but Lightroom will automatically take care of them upon import at the default settings. DPP probably does too.

EDIT
Yeah - it could be noise too. If it's random, it's noise. If they're in the same place every time, it's hot pixels.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back