Bad Memories but Good Photos

BocaNY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I just picked up so film I had dropped off to be developed thinking it was film from my current trip low and behold it turns out that I had double exposed a roll of film from a trip almost 2 yrs ago. So that trip from 2 yrs ago is one I would rather forget unfortunately had taken lots of photos. Now it was also the time that I had decided to try and do a series of the places I've been to. My question is if you have bad memories associated with that time and the film you have brings back those memories do you develop the film or throw it out?

Waiting to process exposed film from 2 years ago has a whole slew of problems associated with it. Depending on the film, you may have fading, color shifts, and more than I've ever experienced from misplaced rolls of film. Good luck on that account.

As for would you go shoot the shots from a bad trip...would the Carnival Cruise passengers that had no plumbing for 5 days want to go back and shoot that trip again? Assuming your past trip wasn't as bad as what they had, if it's someplace you would like to go back to re-visit, by all means, do it! I honeymooned in Washington DC 25 years ago, later, divorced, but I still enjoy going there and taking lots of pictures!

I don't think the OP is asking about going back and taking pictures there; just about whether to GET the pictures from that trip developed.

My answer is YES. Get them developed.
Since we have no idea what the scale of awfulness really was (and actually, even if we DID know) we can't really help you decide if you want to SEE those pictures.

If they bring back memories that are too painful for you, don't look at them. Stick them in a box somewhere, and label them--or if you're afraid that by even having them around, you'll feel compelled to look at them sometimes (like watching a train wreck), then give them to another family member. That way, the pictures are around if you ever do want them, but you don't ever HAVE to see them.

The reason I say, yes, absolutely develop them, is because you NEVER know. Twenty years from now, your attitude about the memories from that trip may be entirely different and you may wish you had those photos. But the door is closing quickly on the opportunity to get them developed with ANY hope of getting anything decent back. So have them printed now before that film gets any older, and then--if you ever DO want to see them, you'll have them, and if you never want to see them, well don't look.

Another consideration is that someday maybe someone ELSE would want to see them--your kids, if you have any, for instance.

If it was double exposed, are there any photos from that roll of film that are good enough to save? I'd probably save the negatives, or go ahead and have film developed, just not have prints made. Then you'll have them in case someday you want to get even one print made to have as one of many places you've traveled.

Thanks guys for the replies.

The saving grace of the film is that it's all objects and nothing of people. I"ll just stash them somewhere. To bad it was double exposed though because the second time I used the film there were some really great shots and I really wanted those but they are gone now. The second time around the exposure on the film was super light.

Oh and how long before film starts going bad?

nothing good happened on the trip?

No not really. Something bad happened to me on the way to the place. Spent most of the trip dealing with that and feeling completely alone. Then I was left alone cuz my friend had to leave in a place that I didn't want to go to.

I guess only the peaceful walk I took around town shooting the day my friend had to leave.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I really think that this is a personal decision that nobody can answer for you; you should decide.

Best of Luck!

Gabe

Sounds like a trip to forget. Keep the negatives, file them away and if you decide a few years from now that having them is a constant reminder destroy them and move on. We've all had times to forget, it's just one of those life things, makes us appreciate the good things in life much more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back