Bad news - Good news

jriepe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Latest update on my D7000 in the repair shop with a bent shutter blade. Took the camera in one week ago and was immediately told it had a bent shutter blade but didn't know yet whether the sensor had been scratched or not. After waiting one full week I was hoping no news was good news. I was wrong. Got a call about ten minutes ago telling me the sensor has indeed been scratched. That obviously is the bad news. The good news is the sensor replacement cost is $392 plus tax instead of the $495 I had been previously quoted. Now I'm hoping for some more good news that it will be repaired before I go to Colorado in two weeks but I'm not very optimistic about that. Checked out the rental charge from Calumet photographic and it is $297 for one week. I'm not about to pay close to $300 for a one week rental of a $1,200 item. I will take my D80 and make do with one camera if need be.

Jerry

How did I miss this? What happened to your D7000?

Last Sunday a week ago I was out shooting macro when the camera stopped working and I got a flashing Err message. A few things worked such as image review and I could access the menus but the the camera was non functional. Took it into the repair shop first thing Monday morning and was told it had a bent shutter blade and was also told there was a possibility the bent blade may have scratched the sensor. Today after a whole week I got a call from the shop confirming the sensor is scratched. The sensor has never been cleaned and no one had been inside the camera for any reason so it is definitely a manufacturing defect and upon researching this found out this has happened to others with the D7000. Probably not a widespread problem but a costly one for those few who have experienced it. I have no idea how this happens or what causes it but it does happen.

Jerry

The sensor is scratched? :scratch: I'm having trouble with that. Titanium (The shutter blade) is a 6 on Moh's scale; the mineral glass low-pass filter in front of the actual sensor is at least a 7, probably a 7.5. Not saying that it's impossible, but the laws of physics make it difficult to believe...

The sensor is scratched? :scratch: I'm having trouble with that. Titanium (The shutter blade) is a 6 on Moh's scale; the mineral glass low-pass filter in front of the actual sensor is at least a 7, probably a 7.5. Not saying that it's impossible, but the laws of physics make it difficult to believe...

You just very firmly stepped into the nerd zone.

:)

You just very firmly stepped into the nerd zone.

:)
You mean I wuz outta it?

Seriously do you believe I've been duped and the sensor is not scratched? I took it to United Camera and I'm hoping they are reputable.

Jerry

What I find hard to believe is that the shutter blade could scatch it. Granted there may be something about the D7000 of which I am unaware, or there may have been additional components affected, but it sounds strange to me. I'd definitely want to inspect the old parts.

What I find hard to believe is that the shutter blade could scatch it. Granted there may be something about the D7000 of which I am unaware, or there may have been additional components affected, but it sounds strange to me. I'd definitely want to inspect the old parts.

If they are not a reputable company they could scratch the sensor themselves and tell me the shutter blade did it and I'd never know the difference.

Jerry

Sorry, not trying to put conspiracy ideas into your head. I would suggest doing some more research on this.

Sorry, not trying to put conspiracy ideas into your head. I would suggest doing some more research on this.

I read this and didn't think twice about it. But after reading your posts tirediron, I agree. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. Not only the ability to scratch, but the whole incident....

Why didn't you send it into Nikon for waranty repair? Trying to figure out why you would take this cost upon yourself if it is a manufacturing defect...

Why didn't you send it into Nikon for waranty repair? Trying to figure out why you would take this cost upon yourself if it is a manufacturing defect...

I wanted to take it to a local shop and United Camera was listed as an authorized Nikon repair shop so I assumed they had Nikon's blessing. The camera is not under warranty. But now I am definitely worried because upon further research I have read some complaints about this company that read like horror stories.

Jerry

Most reactions

Back