Bad news - Good news

Interesting; what I can gather from that clip is that the mirror is lifting and returning, but the shutter is not activating at all. *DISCLAMINER* The following is pure supposition and guess-work on my part: I haven't had a major shutter failure on a digital camera in a long time (since my D70), but I don't understand why the mirror would operate in [what appears to be] a normal manner, but the shutter wouldn't operate at all. AFAIK, even on a digital camera, they are still interconnected, and if one isn't working at all, the other (in this case the mirror) shouldn't be functioning normally.

What I find hard to believe is that the shutter blade could scatch it. Granted there may be something about the D7000 of which I am unaware, or there may have been additional components affected, but it sounds strange to me. I'd definitely want to inspect the old parts.

If the shutter was damaged, it is likely that a piece of debris may have been the culprit. A single sand grain may have entered the body of the camera, became lodged between the leafs and was dragged against the shutter. After all, a shutter leaf isn't likely to just bend itself.

but the shutter wouldn't operate at all. AFAIK, even on a digital camera, they are still interconnected, and if one isn't working at all, the other (in this case the mirror) shouldn't be functioning normally.

I don't know either, but if I were designing a camera from the ground up, I'd electronically couple the focal plane shutter with the mirror box. Doing so mechanically I'd think would be more prone to jamming, and much more expensive to manufacture. But it's entirely possible for whatever engineering reasons they're still doing this mechanically.

OTOH - looking into my a350, there is a good millimeter or so between the shutter and the sensor... if this is typical, the scratched sensor thing is sounding kind of strange, unless a small stone or large pebble was in there somehow, which would have been found by the repair shop.

This distance might be a Sony implement, to make room for IS, but there is no optical reason to have the shutter right on top of the sensor.

ETA:

The sensor is scratched? :scratch: I'm having trouble with that. Titanium (The shutter blade) is a 6 on Moh's scale; the mineral glass low-pass filter in front of the actual sensor is at least a 7, probably a 7.5. Not saying that it's impossible, but the laws of physics make it difficult to believe...

Actually, no. Lithium Niobate, a common bifringement material, has a hardness of 5, according to this source:

http://www.bostonpiezooptics.com/?D=28

If this is quartz glass doped with LiNbO3, then who knows.

Last edited:
Okay guys this is what I've decided to do. The call I got from them yesterday afternoon was late so I know they haven't done anything yet. According to their website their lobby opens at 8:a.m. so I will show up there at that time to tell them I've decided I want to take a look at the sensor and I would like the scratch pointed out to me before I make the final decision to have it replaced. I also may have come to the conclusion inaccurately that it is a manufacturing defect because I did change lenses in the field immediately before this happened. The camera was pointed downward during the changing of the lenses but I can't be 100% positive that nothing entered the camera. So I will admit that even though I was thoroughly convinced it is a manufacturing defect the blame may be with me. Maybe I'll never know for sure one way or the other but I want to thank all of you for opening my eyes. I'm beginning to lean toward the direction that the fault is mine because in the field I went from the 180mm macro to the 17-50 then back again to the 180mm after a couple shots and the camera stopped working after a couple shots with the 180mm. So I think it may be more than mere coincidence that the camera stopped malfunctioning after the changing of the lenses. I'm becoming more and more convinced the blame lies with me as I type this.

Jerry

jriepe said:
Okay guys this is what I've decided to do. The call I got from them yesterday afternoon was late so I know they haven't done anything yet. According to their website their lobby opens at 8:a.m. so I will show up there at that time to tell them I've decided I want to take a look at the sensor and I would like the scratch pointed out to me before I make the final decision to have it replaced. I also may have come to the conclusion inaccurately that it is a manufacturing defect because I did change lenses in the field immediately before this happened. The camera was pointed downward during the changing of the lenses but I can't be 100% positive that nothing entered the camera. So I will admit that even though I was thoroughly convinced it is a manufacturing defect the blame may be with me. Maybe I'll never know for sure one way or the other but I want to thank all of you for opening my eyes. I'm beginning to lean toward the direction that the fault is mine because in the field I went from the 180mm macro to the 17-50 then back again to the 180mm after a couple shots and the camera stopped working after a couple shots with the 180mm. So I think it may be more than mere coincidence that the camera stopped malfunctioning after the changing of the lenses. I'm becoming more and more convinced the blame lies with me as I type this.

Jerry

Please let us know the outcome

Dslr's are designed to allow you to change lenses. You shouldn't have to worry about changing a lens in the field unless you are in some sort of sandstorm.

Okay just got back from United Camera where the tech. showed me the broken shutter as well as the scratched sensor. The scratch is not terrible and the tech. even said I could get by with it if I post process my images. I do post process all my images but I wouldn't feel the least bit comfortable using the camera with a defect like that since it is my primary camera. So after some thought I decided to get the sensor replaced then it will be good as new hopefully. The extra expense is not going to cause any financial hardship. The tech. had not found anything in the camera that could have caused the broken shutter blade but said he may find something as he takes it apart further.

If any of this has made you D7000 owners a bit nervous I apologize because I'm reasonably convinced the fault is mine. I, probably out of carelessness, introduced something into the camera body when changing lenses. I will live and learn (hopefully) at my own expense. Ouch!

Jerry

Most reactions

Back