gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spent two nights in Wall, South Dakota to visit Badlands National Park. Fortunately, it stopped raining late in the afternoon of my arrival so that I could photograph the sunset that night. I returned the following night for another sunset and then went to the park for sunrise the following morning. The colors vary dramatically as the light changes. There are a couple of repeaters in this collection--but I wanted to place all the images in one thread.

1- It became clear with they call this landscape the "badlands"...very difficult terrain to cross.
p3551054670-5.jpg

2- These are referred to as the "Yellow Mounds" for good reason.
p3551054736-5.jpg

3- Sunrise brought very different colors
p3551055052-5.jpg

4- I had fun with my 300 2.8 for a change (it has received very little use). These colors were NOT altered in Photoshop.
p3551055062-5.jpg

5- Up close and personal...I captured photo handheld through the car window.
p3551054659-5.jpg

6- This image was taken during my first hour or two inside the park.
p3537165004-5.jpg

7- The Badlands meet the South Dakota prairie
p3551054887-5.jpg

8- Can you spot the bison?
p3551054863-5.jpg

9- Rattlesnakes must be very common here as well as these signs are posted everywhere.
p3551054637-5.jpg

10- One last sunset
p3551054744-5.jpg

Thanks again for looking...now onto Pierre to visit the State Capitol!

Glenn

Beautiful set of images with some great light in the mountains.....

Great set.

What a beautiful place, I've always wanted to go there. Very nice set, Glenn, thanks for sharing.

As always, you have provided us with your perspective of some beautiful and interesting scenery. Thank you!

Wow, beautiful colors and exceptional imagery. Interesting differences in color based on light. Pretty intense terrain and to think of the indians mastering that terrain is fascinating. They were without a doubt, stellar hunters and resourceful.

Wow, beautiful colors and exceptional imagery. Interesting differences in color based on light. Pretty intense terrain and to think of the indians mastering that terrain is fascinating. They were without a doubt, stellar hunters and resourceful.
Thank you...and then there is the challenge of all those rattlesnakes!

Glenn

There's a Badlands in Canada too. From Calgary, we headed East across the plains until we reached the Royal Tyrel Dinosaur Museum. That place is the heart of the Badlands: same scenery as your great shots. We only lived in Canada for half a year and I never got back. That place deserved multiple visits at different times of the year.

Most reactions

Back