bag design

discov

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
Im doing some research for a camera backpack project for a design class and am looking for a little insight on the subject. Any and all help will be much appreciated.
I'll be glad to share what I come up with in a few weeks! Ive been researching exhisting bags for a few weeks now and am looking for personal opinions on some general things at this point:
-How much gear might you carry in a pack? #of lenses, bodies, accessories, and misc. items?
-If you do carry a pack do you carry it alone or with an additional form of storage?
i.e. beltpack, sholder bag, etc...?

-Other than the issue of efficient gear access with a backpack, what other issues arise?

If anyone can offer some input here it would be appreciated

Pocket placement on the outside for small accessories. Multiple access points for smaller gear on the inside. The ability to slide/rotate the pack around to access without sliding out of the shoulder straps. Wide straps to distribute the load and a waist belt to put some of the weight on the hips as well as keeping it secure and prevent flopping while climbing. Tripod strap/sling both horz. under the load and vert. along one side. A mesh pocket or two outside for water bottle and energy bars. If I think of anything else, I'll add to the post.

One thing I haven't seen in the market is a long range hikers frame pack with specially designed areas for camera equipment.

Now a days.. lots of people like the idea of having a compartment for a laptop (although I don't really care for such compartment).

Who the h3ll are you.. Mary Poppins?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I like the idea of the pack frame. This would preclude the ability to swing a compartment to an access point without taking the pack off. Unless you are VERY creative. On second thought, I await your design oh creative one.

-Hoping to get a few more serious responses - not sure jon k's request is feasible (... maybe only 29 lenses...)
Can anyone offer number of lenses, bodies, any other equipment they may carry? Any other items, perhaps non-photo items brought along?

Sometimes I carry my laptop. Usually only if I am traveling for more than a day. I would say room for 2-3 bodies, 4-5 lenses, flash, separate area for batteries and CF cards, some kind of monopod/tripod attachment. Lenses are hard though, you need to look at the sizes that most use. For these people that want a hiking type pack, I would fathom that they use fairly large lenses (300mm - 500mm). I personally want room for a 100-400 lens, along with a macro, wide-angle, and walk-around lens.

Good luck!

-Hoping to get a few more serious responses - not sure jon k's request is feasible (... maybe only 29 lenses...)
Can anyone offer number of lenses, bodies, any other equipment they may carry? Any other items, perhaps non-photo items brought along?

2 bodies (in a perfect world but could get by with one), 14mm f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f/4 maybe, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 1 tele-converter, SB-800 flash, CF card wallet, 3 spare batteries, meter, flashlight, GPS, Cell phone, carbon tripod strapped to side, bedroll strapped under pack, water, energy bars, small first aid kit w/snake bite kit, T-shirt, shorts, socks, poncho, plastic bags, pocket knife and depending on where I hike, extra ammo. Depending on the amount of time on trail, more food, water, cloths.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back