Bag Selection

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I realized that it was finally time for a new bag for my new equipment, I headed over my trusty bhphoto.com and simply stared googly-eyed at 25 pages of camera bags. I need some help with my decision. Heres where I am at.

Sholder bag vs. Modular waist carrying system.

I am going to photojournalism school in the fall, and will therefore be using my camera to cover a lot of events where I need quick access to my other lenses/accessories. I know that the modular system excels in this. When on assignment in the past, shoulder bags have caused some serious pain to the shoulder after hours of holding it. However, the modular system will not have anywhere to put my camera body when not in use. As I will be traveling to school frequently with my camera, I forsee this as a possible problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight into the pros/cons of each?

Any suggestions on what shoulder bag to get if that's the ultimate solution? I have been looking and have no idea. Right now i am looking at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/384137-REG/Crumpler_MD0701A_7_Million_Dollar_Home.html and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424414-REG/Lowepro_34950_Stealth_Reporter_D300AW_Bag.html.

I will be carrying a canon 1d mkII, 70-200 f2.8L IS and 24-70 f2.8L, both with the hoods attached.

Hey I cant recommend a bag but are you taking the PhotoJ course in s,port.I am just accross the border here in Tx and thinking about taking some classes.

Well, I just got a Tamrac Digital Convertible that will carry your gear (and even another couple of lenses) and converts from a shoulder to a waist bag. I think that you'd have to carry the body with the 24-70 attached as the 70-200 plus hood combo will be too long (probably).

It's actually pretty good. The Tamrac model number is 5674 and it's $54.75 at B & H.

I am personally, a big fan of Lowepro bags and know any bag you get from them will be of high quality. I have always been pleased with the many Lowepro bags that I have. One thing you need to take into consideration though is that when you look at a picture of any bag it can be very deceptive about how much the bag is able to carry so it would help to be able to test your bag with the gear you have before you make a final decision on a bag.

I've got that exact crumpler 7 million(Olive Green), and they're made extremely solidly, that's for sure. It's big and very modular too.

I'm looking to move to a smaller bag though, and I'd like to sell my crumpler which is basically in perfect condition. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Hey I cant recommend a bag but are you taking the PhotoJ course in s,port.I am just accross the border here in Tx and thinking about taking some classes.

Sadly, the photojournalism classes are going to require a move. I just finished up my bachelors at Centenary College in Shreveport, and am headed to the University of Texas to pursue a masters degree.

Might want to take a look into the Lowepro Slingshot series. Handy bags to say the least - I took one to Sierra Leone as well as Spain and didn't ahve to put the bag down, in addition, since it is a 'backpack' in a sense, the weight is nicely distributed as oppoed to place on one side of the body.

My large Lowe pro 400 stealth reporter has two shoulder straps to help even out the load across both my shoulders. Lowe pro has a replacement shoulder strap with more padding than what comes standard.

Personally I don't like shoulder bags as they tend to start hurting after a while of wearing them. That's why I went with one of Lowepro's smaller backpacks. As for quick access, I hang the camera around my neck with it's strap, and my jacket has large enough pockets to hold a lens or two. I transport everything in the backpack, and once I get there, I'll put what I think I'll use the most in my pockets. Unfortunately it doesn't work so well if it's hot outside. However getting a photographers vest would fix that.

As a former photo journalist I'd like to make a few points.

1) You are on the mark with the need for speed. Which is why most news photogs will carry two bodies on a "general" assignment (for a sporting event or press conference where you know the setup you can get by with one camera.)

2) Typically, Domke, has been the bag of choice for most press photogs. It is comfy, and quick ,,, easy in and easy out and is designed and made by a former photo journalist.

3) Don't get a bag for the camera. On assignment your camera is never in the bag, (slows you down), so you'll end up with a bag larger than you need with a lot of air space. I would just sling the camera(s) around neck and/or shoulder or get one of those large backpacks to carry everything and a smaller bag for assignment.

4) A "Shooter's Vest" (as we used to call them), actually works quite well for certain day long type events ... very comfortable and not as construction worker-ish as the modular. I've never used a modular system, but I hear that they work well.

Gary

Most reactions

Back