Bag suggestions

jpross123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello TPF community!

I'm sure there are other posts on this, but I thought I'd give it a try. I am in the market for a new camera bag, and I wanted to see what you all suggest.

I am looking for a bag where I can have my D500 and a 70-200 with the lens hood attached in the bag. Also id like to have something where its easy to switch lenses without having to put down everything. The current backpack that I use to travel with must be made out of a material that keeps lava warm, cause each time I hike with it my back is on fire and sweat is just pouring. :tongueout:

I am traveling in the next couple weeks, and I have a wedding coming up that I will be photographing.

Thanks everyone!

I've been very happy with my LowePro Flipside 300, which is specifically designed for easy access without removing it. It is slightly less convenient than a sling, but personally I've never been a big fan of sling-type bags. A quick note on selecting size - the Flipside 200 is nice and compact, but doesn't really fit much. The 300 seemed like the perfect size for me, especially after removing the internal storage bag and rearranging the dividers a little. It fits a D500 perfectly, but is a bit cramped if you use a battery grip. The 400 will solve this, but is starting to get a big bulkier, and the 500 is much bigger and more expensive, if you really need to carry a lot of equipment with you.

Thank you for the suggestions! I ordered the LowePro Flipside 300 and it was a little too small for my liking. The quality of LowePro is very good! I'm gonna go to my local camera shop tomorrow and look at some other options.

I've had a Domke canvas messenger type bag for 15 years...very good, can handle a D610 and 70-300 with lens and short hood attached, has a flap with a snap, has a back compartment, a main compartment, and two big pouch pockets, plus two smaller, zippered closure,small compartments on the flap. So, like two large compartments, one bigger than the other. Carries over the sholder, holds a LOT, basically zero padding.

Backpacks are great for transporting gear, but hard to shoot rapidly out of.

I ended up getting a MindShift trailscape 18L for traveling with. It has plenary of space and wasn't the most expensive bag on the shelf ($160). It has enough space to hold my D500, 24-70, 70-200, iPad Pro 10' and all my cords and accessories! It can hold a 13' laptop as well.

I will have to look for another bag that I can throw over my shoulder when I know I'll be switching lenses frequently.

I ended up getting a MindShift trailscape 18L for traveling with. It has plenary of space and wasn't the most expensive bag on the shelf ($160). It has enough space to hold my D500, 24-70, 70-200, iPad Pro 10' and all my cords and accessories! It can hold a 13' laptop as well.

I will have to look for another bag that I can throw over my shoulder when I know I'll be switching lenses frequently.

MindShifts are good bags, they are basically ThinkTank bags. It will last you FOREVER.

MindShifts are good bags, they are basically ThinkTank bags. It will last you FOREVER.
Oh for sure! The quality is amazing

TAMRAC 6XX series ... and they can surprisingly be bought on E-BAY for a song.

Over the years, I have used bags from: Kodak, Tenba, Tamrac, Nikon, Canon, Lowepro, Domke, and others. All failed to fully satisfy for one reason, or another...lack of weather resistance, plastic snaps, velcro closures, open cell foam padding, etc. Then I found Billingham, and now I use nothing but. You can find a Billingham of a size to fit just about anything you may have. Measure your gear, and compare it against bag dimensions. Consider the Billingham 445, or the Billingham 307L. Billinghams cost more, but are worth it. Get the Fibrenyte bag variety. It is lighter weight, and more colorfast, than the canvas variety. I have a variety of gear, and several Billingham bags....and no regrets.

Most reactions

Back