Bag Suitable for my Needs?

jonathon94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently in High School and (according to UPS Shipping) my first DSLR, the Canon Rebel 110D/T3 will arrive. I want to carry it with me everywhere but at the moment the only way of doing that is to put it in my bookbag (which scares me), put it in my jacket but I already carry enough stuff in their and don't need the extra weight. So what I need is a bag that is capable of holding a laptop and at most, 2 decent sized textbooks along with my dslr (+lens). Is there a bag out there capable of this? Maybe something along the style of amessenger bag (I've always wanted to use one) As for my biggest need, it needs to stay below $80-$100

Does a bag exist that can serve this purpose or if not what do you suggest?

my girlfriend carries her D700 in a toque and stuffs it in her bag :) that works fine.

Excuse my lack of knowledge lol but what's a toque. I google search it and I get a hat and I doubt she carries her DSLR in a hat (then again I could be wrong ;) )

You have a few options, you can buy something like this - Haven (S) to stick inside your backpack you already have, or you can buy an old camera bag from the thrift store or craigslist (use common sense about meeting!) and take out the inserts of that and put those in your bag.
Theres also something like this- Amazon.com: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack: Camera & Photo
but I doubt you could jam books in there too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You have a few options, you can buy something like this - Haven (S) to stick inside your backpack you already have, or you can buy an old camera bag from the thrift store or craigslist (use common sense about meeting!) and take out the inserts of that and put those in your bag.
Theres also something like this- Amazon.com: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack: Camera & Photo
but I doubt you could jam books in there too.

From what I see, I sorta like the Lowepro Fastpack 250. It seems like it would hold what I need to and my only large textbook I use only for one period anyways and can hold it in hand.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are others like it I think, Manfrotto has a couple, Crumpler, Think Tank... I was just searching for a new bag today hah so its fresh. Usually the ones with the laptop space are a little more pricey though.

As long as it is below $100 I feel that I can justify the purchase with my dad who buys a $100+ bag about every year

jonathon94 said:
As long as it is below $100 I feel that I can justify the purchase with my dad who buys a $100+ bag about every year

Tenba messenger bag. Mine was around 100.00. I usually have a camera, 2 flashes, 3 lenses, a laptop in it. I can fit a textbook but TBH i usually just carry the textbook. But it can fit with a bunch of other smaller things!

Excuse my lack of knowledge lol but what's a toque. I google search it and I get a hat and I doubt she carries her DSLR in a hat (then again I could be wrong ;) )
Thanks for searching before asking but yes. She carries her DSLR in a hat. Sometimes she wraps it up in a microfibre towel. I recommend a Neoprene toque over a wool one just because of all the fibres that can get everywhere. I'm one for making little tweaks that fit you well. Heck, wrap it up in bubble wrap. That works too.

If you must buy a commercially made bag, save up your money and start with something really good. ThinkTank is the brand used by most of the professionals.

jonathon94 said:

Tenba messenger bag. Mine was around 100.00. I usually have a camera, 2 flashes, 3 lenses, a laptop in it. I can fit a textbook but TBH i usually just carry the textbook. But it can fit with a bunch of other smaller things!

How well does the Tenba Protect your camera and lens?

Thanks for searching before asking but yes. She carries her DSLR in a hat. Sometimes she wraps it up in a microfibre towel. I recommend a Neoprene toque over a wool one just because of all the fibres that can get everywhere. I'm one for making little tweaks that fit you well. Heck, wrap it up in bubble wrap. That works too.

If you must buy a commercially made bag, save up your money and start with something really good. ThinkTank is the brand used by most of the professionals.

I'd be two worried of breaking something with having the camera in there without some of form of better protection. It doesn't seem like a hat of any form could protect it if I put my bag down a bit rough or I put a book in there very fast, or any number of abuse that could happen on any given day.

The think tank I liked was the Shape Shifter but that is $150 over budget and honestly I don't see myself spending THAT much on a bag.

Buying a good bag that suits your needs is much cheaper than buying a less expensive bag that doesn't do what you want it to do. Try looking for a ShapeShifter on the used market. I'm a HUGE fan of ThinkTank. Crumpler - not so much. Lowepro is so so but they're getting better by the seasons. Tamrac is cheap but only so so. Kata - avoid like the plague. Here's my summary on bag brands.

ThinkTank - moderately pricey but amazingly well made and designed - Go for it.
Kata - moderately price and attractive looking but ridiculously badly designed for usage. It is as if they never asked a photographer how to make a bag for him/her.
Crumper - moderately pricey and really good looking. But it is a case of form over function. Huge bags with no carrying space. The curvy design doesn't mesh well with the shape of the gear.
Tamrac - cheap and feels cheap. Decent design but crappy materials.
LowePro - the old default brand. Cheaper than ThinkTank pricier than Tamrac - there are some good bags and bad bags in the bunch. Look at the newer designs. Some are best described as ThinkTank clones.
Manfrotto bags - designed by monkeys and not the smart monkeys. Badly made. Really pretty looking with a giant logo though.
Vanguard - Spanish brand but made in China clones of Kata bags. They're so so...save your money and buy ThinkTank
Billingham - Ridiculously Pricey and attractive looking. Well made but very simple looking.
NationalGeographic - a case of putting a well known name on a cheap product

My girlfriend is a photojournalist. Shoots the Buccaneers time to time. Says that in the media rooms, 90% of the Photogs use ThinkTank. Their motto is kinda silly but they make arguably the best bags in the industry.

If the budget is absolute, take a look at the Crumpler Haven. I know what I said about Crumpler. The Haven series is a good product. Overpriced for what it is but still pretty good.

So, you want a really handy bag, and look like a true badass mo-fo walking into the lobby of your local high school? Look no further than Crumpler.

You get style, function, and a slew of other features. Velcro Silencers? Who thought you'd need em? I didn't. But they're ****ing awesome. Take a long stroll (or scroll) through this website and look at them bags.

I'd suggest this one for your needs, and it will give you a little room to grow into.

4 Million Dollar Home

Just be careful with a Crumpler, you'll have all varieties of ladies trying to get into your pants... Er, I mean camera bag... Because it looks so awesome. You'll also have swagger for days, even when not wearing your camera bag. Like, MAD swagger. This is also a strong selling point.

I have the Customary Barge Deluxe, but I think that may be a bit distant from your price range.

jonathon94 said:

^^^^^that

I'd suggest carrying it in something that looks NOTHING like a camera bag. You'll attract less attention and that could help protect your investment from camera thieves. Just my $0.02.

I'd suggest carrying it in something that looks NOTHING like a camera bag. You'll attract less attention and that could help protect your investment from camera thieves. Just my $0.02.

I sorta agree which is why I'm going with a book bag or messenger bag. I just got my T3 today I'm so excited and have been taking pictures all day. (And driving my family nuts :))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back