Balance between light and dark

tempra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.artzam.com
I have a new TFT monitor and to be quite frank, I don't trust it.

Just wondering if the light/dark balance is ok and the vast majority of monitors out there - I deliberately took a contrasty picture to test it, plus I like the picture.

Please let me know how I could improve it, and also whether it looks ok.

p1old.jpg

Thanks

my screen I am sitting in front of right now is a laptop screen, so i might not be able to give a definite answer.

But I am able to see all the detains in her face ... it is pretty dark though.

The problem is that you have sort of inverse light here ... dark in the centre of the face and very bright on the left and right hand side. but it is interesting in a way

I agree with Alex....details on my screen are quite sharp. The contrast is not that excessive and the lighting seems balanced on both sides of her face.

I have a flat HP 1703 screen.

Sorry, back from mowing the lawn - it is Saturday afternoon after all!

Alex, how dark are the features? One of the problems with this screen is that it's very bright with a high contrast ratio so I'm starting to think that I can see things that others can't - need to go buy some photo paper for my printer to see how it prints out - I think i'm getting closer though, when I first got it I needed sunglasses to look at it!

Paul, thanks for the info, look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

That's subtle but a good improvement!

Good effort - still not quite right though.

Had another play with the RAW file and upped the exposure half a stop - this time in colour - is this better?

p2.jpg

PNA, I'm not so keen on the edit - too much use of shadow/highlight for my taste. You can get some more control duplicating the layer and changing the blend mode to screen - lower the opacity to about 20%. Mask the area around the face and sharpen slightly.

Untitled-15.jpg

Good effort - still not quite right though.

Had another play with the RAW file and upped the exposure half a stop - this time in colour - is this better?

p2.jpg

A lot nicer like this although some USM might help a little.

EOS JD....Seems like your B&W still has blown out sides of the face... I tried to avoide that. I'm not saying my edit is better, only what I tried to do.

However, I do like the color shot.....

Paul

I could have repaired that but with the backlighting I thought this looked more natural.

I don't think there's a right or wrong really, just personal preference. To be fair this was a very quick edit though of a small jpg.

Aargh! just realised, I changed the original thread pic as well - better swap that back or people will think we've gone mad!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back