Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello...if any of you are good with financial crap, I could use some tips!

Ok...I do most of the bookwork for my step-dads construction company. The other guy that works in the office with me is the one that was supposed to be balancing the checkbook at the end of every month when our bank statement came in. I thought he was doing it...Weeeeell, I was wrong! Now, the account has been open since the beginning of February, and it has never been balanced, and I REALLY need to get it balanced!!!

I've never balanced a checkbook before (don't laugh at me) in the first place, and now I have to go back a YEAR! Can anyone help me? Or point me in the direction of a decent website that can help me? Can anyone fly to Illinois and restrain me before I murder my co-worker?

does the company have online banking set up for that account? if they do, it will be a snap

md

I use Quicken for my finances. If you have the statements you will just have to go through from the start and plug away at it.

No online banking, and I'm just figuring Quickbooks Premier Contracting Addition out. :( I've been doing it (or attempting to) with pen and paper! Anyone know if Quickbooks has a way to do it? I'll start readin the manual, but if any of you know off hand, that would be great! :)

quickbooks is great, but its going to take you 6.7 years to get it set up to do it for you. you should see if they offer online banking with your account. if they dont....switch banks.

md

Quicken will balance a basic checking account but if you have invoices &/or accounts payable, receivable and such I would use QuickBooks at least! That should the first purchase for any small business.

Our current bank does not, that I'm aware of. I beleive my step-dad is looking into another bank, and that is part of the reason for it.

It doesn't help that I'm not great with math in the first place...I mean, this is basic adding and subtracting, which is fine, but after I've been looking at numbers for a long time, my mind tends to really jumble up, and even the simple stuff starts to stop making sense :(.

All I can say is that you're almost a year late, a few weeks isn't going to make much difference. Take your time and don't panic.

core_17 said:
Stupid question: Is reconciling my account the same as balancing my account?

Same thing :D

MDowdey said:
quickbooks is great, but its going to take you 6.7 years to get it set up to do it for you. you should see if they offer online banking with your account. if they dont....switch banks.

md

I thought it was just me that had problems learning the program. I'm pretty good with math and accounting but that program has thrown me for a loop!

AlisonS said:
core_17 said:

Thanks! Thought so! :)

I'm trying my best to learn Quickbooks. It's easier than Peachtree Accounting (they had that before, and I couldn't even get STARTED on it!). I have NO accounting experience at all, so it's pretty daunting. I'm getting it, though...but I still have a LOT to learn!

i think software in general for accounting is terrible. the only accountants ive known in real life did all this by hand. and he was the comptroller for TOYOTA.

so dont feel bad. just get your statements and start plugging away at it.

md

core_17 said:
AlisonS said:
core_17 said:

Thanks! Thought so! :)

I'm trying my best to learn Quickbooks. It's easier than Peachtree Accounting (they had that before, and I couldn't even get STARTED on it!). I have NO accounting experience at all, so it's pretty daunting. I'm getting it, though...but I still have a LOT to learn!

If you have questions let me know. I'm a senior in Finance and I've taken more accounting classes than I cared to :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back