Ball Head for Monopod

kitjv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Slik Pro Pod 382CF monopod & am in need of a recommendation for a ball head. The head will support up to a maximum weight of 5 lbs. And since the reason I bought the 382CF monopod was for it's light weight, I am looking for a ball head that is lightweight as well.

Thank you for any recommendations. I appreciate it.

Also make sure you get an adapter if you need it. I'm not positive your pod needs one, but most Slik threads are smaller than the ones on most other manufacturers heads.

A ball head on a monopod tends to defeat the purpose of the monopod. If you need to angle up or down you tip the pod and support it.

If you want to shoot in portrait mode you are much better off to have a quick release on top of the pod and use an L bracket on your camera body. With a quick release and an L bracket you are keeping the weight of the camera over the pod allowing the pod to provide the support necessary.

Also make sure you get an adapter if you need it. I'm not positive your pod needs one, but most Slik threads are smaller than the ones on most other manufacturers heads.

Yes, the Slik has a 1/4 X 20 threaded adapter.

A ball head on a monopod tends to defeat the purpose of the monopod. If you need to angle up or down you tip the pod and support it.

If you want to shoot in portrait mode you are much better off to have a quick release on top of the pod and use an L bracket on your camera body. With a quick release and an L bracket you are keeping the weight of the camera over the pod allowing the pod to provide the support necessary.

Point well-taken. But since I plan to use the monopod primarily when traveling, versatility is important. And I'm the kind of guy who travels with no more than can fit in the airplane's overhead bin.

Point well-taken. But since I plan to use the monopod primarily when traveling, versatility is important. And I'm the kind of guy who travels with no more than can fit in the airplane's overhead bin.

One of these can be left on the body full time. Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

And will work with one of these left on the monopod full time. B2-Pro: 60mm clamp with dual mounting - B2-Pro

Put the same type of QR on your tripod head and you can easily switch back and forth quickly. Just a suggestion.

Most reactions

Back