Ball head monopod

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When using a ball head on a monopod would you keep it tight and just move the monopod or keep it with light tension and swivel the camera on the ball? Are the other ways to set this up to get the best use from it?

There is no one answer.
WHAT are you using on the monopod, and WHAT type of shooting?

I use the ability of the monopod to move around to frame a shot and leave the head locked.

There is no one answer.
WHAT are you using on the monopod, and WHAT type of shooting?
I'd use it with a Canon 80D and either a Tamron 100-400 or a Canon 55-250. Would be shooting wildlife and using it at the beach for dolphins and birds.

The issue that I have with a ball head in that situation is if you loosen it too much, it will move in 3 axis; elevation (birds, up/down tilt), azimuth (rotating around the vertical axis) and roll (left/right tilt).
IMHO, the only axis that is of value, is elevation.
Azimuth, you can get simply by rotating the monopod on the ground.
Roll to me is the worse, as that unlevels the horizon, and is harder to move the camera than elevation.

IF you can control the head movement, it will work.
I just attach the foot of the lens directly to the monopod, simpler. KISS

Birds in the air, totally different story.
This depends on how far they are from you, and how high they fly. As the elevation angle change could make the use of the monopod more of a hassle and useless. More usable when the elevation angle change is small.

ac12 so eloquently describes, how the monopod is used depends quite a bit on the shooting scenario. I use my monopod without any head, of any kind, but some people use a monopod + gimbal head for birds. I have tried a monopod + ballhead, set fairly tight, a few times.

Yes, I recall seeing a pic where a monopod was rested at an angle against a fence, so the fence was the other 2 legs of a tripod.
And the ball head was used to level the camera.
THAT made sense.

For the Tamron 100-400, get the tripod collar.
I find it MUCH easier to shoot a long lens when the lens+camera is balanced on the monopod, rather than monopod attached to camera and the long lens sticking out front, making a front heavy setup.

A ball head on a monopod is problematic and best left to tripod use as others have pointed out. Most sport photogs don't use any head on a monopod because they rarely shoot at extreme vertical angles and simply adjust the angle of the support to achieve the desired shot. If however, you are shooting subjects that will require extreme vertical angles then a head with one axis adjustability is prime. Depending on your ecosystem of head attachment some are better than others.

My preferred setup is Arca Swill camera and lens plates with clamps on my tripod ball heads and monopod. All are of Really Right Stuff make and the MH-01 monopod head is extremely well made and can support any lens combo you like. It comes in various clamp styles and is available through B&H Photo now.

Attachments

• rrs_MH-01.png
    rrs_MH-01.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 213
I use the older Manfrotto and Bogen pistol grip heads, the 3265 and the 322. Those are flexible, sturdy, and provide a handgrip to adjust.

A ball head on a monopod is problematic and best left to tripod use as others have pointed out. Most sport photogs don't use any head on a monopod because they rarely shoot at extreme vertical angles and simply adjust the angle of the support to achieve the desired shot. If however, you are shooting subjects that will require extreme vertical angles then a head with one axis adjustability is prime. Depending on your ecosystem of head attachment some are better than others.

My preferred setup is Arca Swill camera and lens plates with clamps on my tripod ball heads and monopod. All are of Really Right Stuff make and the MH-01 monopod head is extremely well made and can support any lens combo you like. It comes in various clamp styles and is available through B&H Photo now.

I saw one of those 1-axis heads on a review of the new Sony 600mm lens.
Long focal length ...
I think it was this one.
ManfrottoHeavy Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release Adapter and Plate
As a gimbal design, with the pivot at the CG, it is easy to work.

There is also something like this one where the pivot is below the camera/lens.
E-ImageTwo-Tier Flat Mount Tilt Head

Yes, I recall seeing a pic where a monopod was rested at an angle against a fence, so the fence was the other 2 legs of a tripod.
And the ball head was used to level the camera.
THAT made sense.

For the Tamron 100-400, get the tripod collar.
I find it MUCH easier to shoot a long lens when the lens+camera is balanced on the monopod, rather than monopod attached to camera and the long lens sticking out front, making a front heavy setup.
I do have the tripod collar. It makes using that lens on a tripod much better.

I saw one of those 1-axis heads on a review of the new Sony 600mm lens.
Long focal length ...
I think it was this one.
ManfrottoHeavy Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release Adapter and Plate
As a gimbal design, with the pivot at the CG, it is easy to work.

There is also something like this one where the pivot is below the camera/lens.
E-ImageTwo-Tier Flat Mount Tilt Head

I’d prefer to use a tripod with a Wimberley gimbal than that than that Manfrotto rig. Adjusting the two locking knobs means swapping hands and with lenses as big as a 600 on a monopod are top heavy so keeping your hands on them ensures they defy gravity.

Most reactions

Back