Band photos

jadin

The Mad Hatter
Reaction score
Website
jadinhanson.smugmug.com
I was hired to shoot photos for a local coffee shop (http://www.beanerscentral.com), for their fifth year anniversary bash. 6 days, 20 bands. I took around 750 photos for it altogether. Probably not a lot by professional standards, but I'd stop shooting when I thought I had enough good ones for each band.

Anyway, I've been talking about it on here a little bit and promised to post some. So here they are:

DSC_2224.jpg

DSC_2752.jpg

DSC_2872.jpg

If anyone wants to see all of the ones I've sorted through, they can be found here. edit : link removed.

I think you have some neat exposures with that lighting! :thumbsup:

Do you have the details? Thx.

i like them alot..good job

im really interested in band photography and this stuff is very helpful.

Nikon D1X using 50mm f/1.4
shutter: 1/60s
aperture: f/1.4
ISO: 320
exposure compensation: 0.0 - 0.7 depending on which spot lights people were under.

using 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6
shutter: 1/5s - 1/20s
aperture: f/5.0
ISO: 800
exposure compensation: same as above

I found keeping the aperture steady with the zoom lens allowed me to worry about composition rather than proper exposure for each shot. Set the camera to a 'good' exposure and then just leave it like that. Much, much easier than changing it constantly as you zoom.

I found auto-exposure was way way off, and that just setting the camera and leaving it there was most effective. I shoot in RAW so I can fine tune if needed, but for the most part that wasn't necessary.

I also found that underexposing to get the fastest possible shutter and using exposure compensation was very effective. Way too many things can blur in 1/5th of a second. 1/20th would be my minimum recommended shutter, and 1/60th was my favorite spot to be at. Even at 1/60th you would still have motion blurs of say guitar strumming.

Fun shots!!! Crystal clear exposure and focus. I am fully in awe because I recently blew a "Jazz trio in a restaurant" shot. It wasn't my fault. I won't bore you with the details. Let us just say that that the background was a huge picture window looking out into the street with a white van poking it's nose out. Luckily it is an editorial shot, so I have a couple of stabs at it.

Coffee house's 'round here 'aint like that. Their mural is classic. Plus they get extra credit for putting on such a huge production.

Did they serve alcohol?

jadin said:
Nikon D1X using 50mm f/1.4
shutter: 1/60s
aperture: f/1.4
ISO: 320
exposure compensation: 0.0 - 0.7 depending on which spot lights people were under.

using 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6
shutter: 1/5s - 1/20s
aperture: f/5.0
ISO: 800
exposure compensation: same as above

I found keeping the aperture steady with the zoom lens allowed me to worry about composition rather than proper exposure for each shot. Set the camera to a 'good' exposure and then just leave it like that. Much, much easier than changing it constantly as you zoom.

I found auto-exposure was way way off, and that just setting the camera and leaving it there was most effective. I shoot in RAW so I can fine tune if needed, but for the most part that wasn't necessary.

I also found that underexposing to get the fastest possible shutter and using exposure compensation was very effective. Way too many things can blur in 1/5th of a second. 1/20th would be my minimum recommended shutter, and 1/60th was my favorite spot to be at. Even at 1/60th you would still have motion blurs of say guitar strumming.

Thank you sir for that valuable info!

Nice work and thank you for the valuable info'.

I love the colors on these pictures. The stage lighting effects also gives these pictures a lot character to them. The second picture could use a little more light but overall very good work. :D

Most reactions

Back