Banding lines at 50fps & 1/100 shutter speed??

trapdoorfilms

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,
I am filming at a hotel which has some fairly dim yellow lighting, not a problem in itself, but there is this area where there are windows allowing more natural light to enter......great more light......BUT at this area banding appears!? I checked my shutter speed and fps and which was 50fps 1/100 shutter. f/stop 2.8 but stopping down didn't alter anything. I dropped my shutter as low as I could manually to 60fps which did help but didn't get rid of the lines.
What could be causing this? The hotel lighting was the same all over, just the windows allowing more natural light was different at this point. When I walked away from this area to a dimmer area in the hotel the lines went away. So it can't be the lighting in the hotel. I'm confused as there doesn't seem anywhere else to go with the DSLR to deal with this?
Any advice anyone?

Thanks very much
Martin

What camera/lens are you using?
What video format does the camera record in?
DSLRs don't use the shutter to shoot video. They just turn the image sensor on and off, because the mechanical shutter cannot come anywhere close to opening and closing 50 times a second (FPS), or even 25x a second.

Banding, also known as posterization, often results in areas of an image that has a color gradient.
The banding is caused by a limited digital color bit depth that cannot render all the colors across the gradient.
An 8-bit color depth can only code 256 colors per each of the 3 color channels.
A 12-bit color depth can code 4096 colors.
A 16-bit color depth can code 65,536 colors.
The bands show steps where the bit depth has no colors to represent the actual colors in the gradient.

Bit Depth

Hi KmH,

Canon 5d mkIII
Tamron 24mm f2. 8

Thank you for the reply.
I am fully aware it's not the mechanical shutter opening and shutting during filming video, but not sure why youre mwntioning this. The shutter speed, however, still operates the same way with video, it still affects the image and light exactly the same as photographing stills and isbtherefore called the shutter speed. So I'm not sure why this was relevant to my post.

Your information regarding banding is very knowledgeable but doesn't bring me any closer to a solution.

Martin

Well couple things

Shutter speed and FPS are different critters. The FPS (framerate) is the number of frames per second that the camera takes. So 30fps mean that there are essentially 30 jpegs created every second. The shutter speed determines how long the sensor is exposed for.

The rule of thumb for shooting video with DSLR is that you want to keep the shutter speed concurrent with your frame rate. So if you are at 30fps you want your shutter speed to be 1/30, 1/60, 1/125 or in a pinch 1/250. This keeps the motion smoother. This is why most dslr video shooters will rely upon a variable ND filter to keep low shutter speed and open aperture on bright days.

To get rid of monitor/light flicker you want to adjust the shutter speed to the hz level of the lights. For example a monitor refreshes at 60hz so set your shutter speed to that.Office lights are about the same.

Ok Guys, Thanks for your replies......
But can I just make something clear in the kindest way .....please read my post before offering any advice. You will see from my title and post that I'm shooting 50fps and 1/100 shutter speed. So, my shutter is concurrent with my frame rate. As a result of using this frame rate you will note I am in UK and therefore matching the hz level of lighting over hear....that is 50hz. I don't need a lesson on matching frame rate with shutter speeds or how the shutter speed mechanism works.

So I would really like some advice beyond this as to this odd issue I have, it's not typical and it has some people baffled on other forums. The lights are not fluorescent, and the lighting is the same throughout the areas of the hotel I was in, yet the banding only appeared where there was more light where the windows were.

Thank you for any advice on this issue.

Thanks

Your information regarding banding is very knowledgeable but doesn't bring me any closer to a solution.

Martin
That's why I asked - "What video format does the camera record in?"
But you're obviously a smart guy.
You'll figure it out, or someone will spoon feed you a solution and you won't learn very much new and useful information.

Good luck!

Asking for advice and graciously accepting all that is offered will get you more advice. Attacking folks going out of their way to try and help will get you zip! at least from me.
Have a nice day.

Vertical or horizontal banding?
Is it stationary or does it scroll?
Does it show up on the finished footage or is it just on the lcd screen?

Almost sounds like you have zebra turned on.

Vertical or horizontal banding?
Is it stationary or does it scroll?
Does it show up on the finished footage or is it just on the lcd screen?

Almost sounds like you have zebra turned on.

Hi Runnah, Thanks for the constructive input.
It's horizontal banding which scrolls fairly quickly downwards and is dark greyish like a shadow. It appears on the recorded footage.
An interesting point about Zebra but I haven't got that enabled.

Thanks
Martin

Most reactions

Back