Bare Basics Studio Lighting, PLEASE HELP!!

LeeLeeMelis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Maine-but currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan
Website
www.mwbphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there!I have recently bought started studio equipment (White Lightning X800 strobe, umbrella) I now need to know how to use the stuff!! I’m pretty overwhelmed as I’m not sure where to start. If this is not where I should be asking questions please let me know and I’ll find another venue to question.

-Do I hook my strobe to my camera of my flash meter?

-When I take a reading and the flash meter shows me certain aperature and shutter speed, are these the numbers I put into my camera, my on camera flash or on my strobe?

-I have a small dance event coming up that I’m photographing family portraits with a background, the whole bit. Do I meter on the faces?

-Should I even use my flash on my camera?

I know that’s a lot and I’m sure I’ll have more, any help you can give will be huge. Thanks!

Meter just below the face. If you can I'd set the metre to 1/60th which is the standard sync speed of a camera flash. Fire the flash and read the aperature. That should get you started providing that's how your gear works.

Set the camera to manual and as above set the readings to match the meter.

1/60th at the fstop your meter indicates as a correct exposure. SS doesn't matter too mutch as the brief flash is many times faster than your camera's synch speed anyway.

There's a little bit more to it imo, do plenty tests before you turn up for the shoot so you know what you'll be getting, if you only have one light I'd recommend a reflector to chuck some light into shadow areas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back