Barn Swallow feeding babies

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so the setting is less than picturesque (really? you built a mud nest on top of a light bulb in my dad's carport?) ... but, when I arrived for the family visit, I was told several times by my extended family to try to get pics of the baby swallows up in the nest. So I went to work...

Oh, and by the way, barn swallows don't want you anywhere near their nest. Mom and Dad took turns doing fly-bys trying to get me to go chase them rather than look at their kids. Like, they took turns flying in circles in and out of the car port to lure me away. And they're fast... about every 5 seconds I was getting buzzed by mommy and daddy swallow.

Sorry for the quality ... it was high ISO in the dark car port in order to keep aperture and shutter where I wanted them. Even then shutter wasn't as fast as it probably should have been.

1. We're hungry, mama!
p1619117016-5.jpg

2. Just back from the bee-mart
p1746228083-5.jpg

3. One fed ... more to go...
p1657814874-5.jpg

Also saw a turkey vulture (the tamron 200-500 got me close enough for identifiable pics as it made its circular hunting sweeps pretty far away, but didn't get anything post-worthy)

Fun times.

Kevin

Wow, that is one way to keep the nest nice and warm :)

Nice! Interesting subjects and action.

Good job! You got a shot of one of the adults bringing in what looks like a honey bee, and then a shot of one lucky baby being fed that bee!

Nice series...it will be crowded in a few days in that nest.

Thanks

Wow, that is one way to keep the nest nice and warm :)

Yeah, it would be. I'm actually not sure if my parents use that light or not these days.

Nice! Interesting subjects and action.

Thanks. Not birds I have around my home, so was happy to shoot them while at the parents'.

Good job! You got a shot of one of the adults bringing in what looks like a honey bee, and then a shot of one lucky baby being fed that bee!

Thanks Derrel. I wish I could say it was intentional. But from where I was with the camera to my face, I didn't realize he had the bee, and was actually lucky that I happened to be shooting right then, so when I saw the bird come around front, was able to start clicking.

Nice series...it will be crowded in a few days in that nest.

Thanks. Yes, I can't imagine those birds any bigger and still actually fitting.

Ha, what an odd spot for them to nest. Good shots!

Yep. :) Odd spot, but highly convenient for shooting. They can't actually stay away from shooting range this way. :)

Kevin

Most reactions

Back