limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I pass this barn almost every day of my life and it tortures me. It's got the most gorgeous light on it at almost all times of the day, but it's hard to capture it because I don't always have time to pull over for a shot and there's not a great place to pull over anyway. So far, I've had to get a quick shot or two from the car and then drive off before someone comes barreling down the road behind me.

What do we think of this attempt? I want it in color because it's even more gorgeous with the foliage, but I had b&w loaded that day so sometimes a girl just has to work with what she's got.

$Barn.jpg

Oh, and there's often horses out in front too, making it even more of a tease! One day when I am not working and it's sunny, I need to just load up some gear and spend time on angles and focal lengths. Any suggestions?

Hmmm... I like the composition well enough, but the contrast is a tad high and you've got a lot of excessively deep shadows, and the barn itself is very small in the frame. I think that this is a subject that will yield a good image, but it will take some work to get that image!

Yay, finally gettin' some love! :) Thanks for the feedback!

Hmmm... I like the composition well enough, but the contrast is a tad high and you've got a lot of excessively deep shadows, and the barn itself is very small in the frame. I think that this is a subject that will yield a good image, but it will take some work to get that image!

I think the contrast is partly due to the developing (I did it in Caffenol, which is a bit contrast-y, I'm finding out). This is straight out of the camera. I wanted to get some opinions on it before I messed with it in Corel because I was a bit torn. I like the grey tones in the trees in the middle, but those deep shadows were bothering me.

But there's potential here to make it interesting and not just, "here's a picture of a barn," yeah?

One word. WALL.

I'm torn about the wall. I can see that it's distracting in this shot - it's too prominent in the foreground and takes attention away from the barn in the back of the field. It's impossible to avoid when taking pictures from the car, but once finally get a chance to pull over and re-position myself, I can work around it. But in general, I kind of like the wall. It's part of the rustic feel to the place. Maybe it will work better when there's some horses in the field so there's something in that middle distance.

Of course today, I have more flexibility to go take some shots but it's grey and rainy...That is the story with me and that damn barn :)

limr, I have too have a red barn that I pass everyday going to work and I've wanted to shoot it. Well, yesterday, I did the drive by shoot too.

gsgary has the advice for both of us. I want to stop and ask for a closer/better angle to shoot it.

limr, I have too have a red barn that I pass everyday going to work and I've wanted to shoot it. Well, yesterday, I did the drive by shoot too.

gsgary has the advice for both of us. I want to stop and ask for a closer/better angle to shoot it.

I might try that. It's just such a gorgeous spot. There is a gate across the bottom of the driveway and it seems to be a fairly long driveway, so I'm not even sure about the living arrangements of the owner, but there's a mailbox at the road, so I might drop a note in it with a phone number or email address and ask permission to shoot there at some point.

If anyone is interested and doesn't mind clicking on a link to my blog, here are my other attempts at this barn:

Day 260: Call me Ishmael. « A Modern Day Dinosaur
and
Day 46: On ethereal winter mornings. « A Modern Day Dinosaur

Clearly the drive-by is not the way to go. And the pull-over also hasn't treated me well either, so I'm really going to have to be much more deliberate to put this particular obsession to bed. :)

Most reactions

Back