basalt monopods and side stress - experiences?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I've got my eye on the Series 3 Basalt 6-section Monopod from Gitzo
Gitzo Series 3 Basalt 6-section Monopod - carbon monopods

For a general monopod that has a light weight; small minimum size and a high load carrying capacity. However in addition to its use for a monopod I was wondering how suitable it is as a general walking aid; trying to combine two uses into a single product.

I'm aware that they make some dedicated walking sticks with camera mounts on them; but they are all aimed at being a long length even when at their minimum size and a smaller monopod for lowdown shooting was something that I'm keen to go after.

So I was wondering if any here have had experiences with this monopod (or other basalt make ones) and can verify how it comes up with side stresses common with walking aids (as opposed to just the vertical stress of holding a heavy load).

I always have to laugh when I see Gitzo's marketing of their basalt carbon fiber.

But no doubt, Gitzo is very good at marketing.

Gitzo uses the Pultrusion process and notes that "basalt fibres absorb a smaller quantity of resin and this reduces tube density and performance" but that "To overcome this physical limit of basalt fibres, it has been developed a new technology (DRI) to boost a higher quantity of resin into the fibres and increase the tube performance up to 22%, depending on the tube diameter."

Only up to 22%? How does that compare to other fiber types? And which tube diameters get the full benefit of the up to 22% increase in tube performance?

To me, it all boils down to, "If you can't convince them with facts, dazzle 'em with bull****."

I hadn't considered the joints - was mostly focused on the material, but you make a good point. 6 Joints is a fair few of them and does create a good number of possible weak points in the structure for it to bend/break around.

Most reactions

Back