Basement studio setup

123sillyboy123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to use my basement as a simple photo studio, what I know is I need a backdrop support system, some flashes, softbox, umbrellas, flash trigger, etc.
My questions are here
1) I saw some studio lights are continious and some are sync flash style.. could anyone tell me how are they different from each other?
2) Is brand name studio light better than China one? Anyone has experience with china-branded studio light?
3) Anyone setted up the basement as photo studio? could you give me some advises and or the picture of your basement studio?

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi there,

1) For me I use continuous lights for product photography and strobes for portraits. Continuous lights can be used for portraits but they can get very hot. I find now that continuous lighting is more for video and strobes for photography. Continuous lights are easy to start with because metering is easy. With strobes I recommend a light meter.

2) If you are starting out I wouldn't worry about brand. "http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001780/American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! "

3) Basements usually do not have high enough ceilings for studio work. 8ft ceiling are normal for a house. You need (in my opinion) 12+ ft ceilings. A basement will be ok for sitting adults, small children and still life photos. You will be limited creatively but you can get by. Because ceilings in basements are so low I recommend painting the ceiling black to avoid unwanted reflected light.

Hi there,

1) For me I use continuous lights for product photography and strobes for portraits. Continuous lights can be used for portraits but they can get very hot. I find now that continuous lighting is more for video and strobes for photography. Continuous lights are easy to start with because metering is easy. With strobes I recommend a light meter.

2) If you are starting out I wouldn't worry about brand. "American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! "

3) Basements usually do not have high enough ceilings for studio work. 8ft ceiling are normal for a house. You need (in my opinion) 12+ ft ceilings. A basement will be ok for sitting adults, small children and still life photos. You will be limited creatively but you can get by. Because ceilings in basements are so low I recommend painting the ceiling black to avoid unwanted reflected light.

Thanks for your tips,much appreicated. I am struggling whether I should clean up my garage and set it up there or just use the basement. My garage has a slightly higher ceiling than my basement.

Is softbox necessary if I already have 3-4 soft umbrellas?
I checked on some online shop that sell studio stuff, the strobes come in different style, different W, I wonder if anyone can give me a list that I need as a start up. I live in a town with no decent shop that supply photography accessories, so I mainly rely on ebay and online store.

thanks

Umbrellas a cheaper. I suggest an umbrella that you can use to reflect the light or shoot through so you can use it more like a softbox. When you have the money there are lots of softboxes that mount just like an umbrella so you don't have to buy mounting equipment based on the lights you have. You can get them from BH Photo, Adorama and even Amazon (Amazon sources from Adorama)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back