Basic lighting kits. What to get?

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to get a good basic "home studio" (newbie studio :mrgreen:) Can anyone recomend a few different kits that might have a good amount of basics to start off with and build upon should I like it? You know, light stands, soft box(es) umbrellas... ect... Not elaborate, but basic enogh for portrait work. I want to give it a shot and have endless people sto shoot (photograph). Not sure of the budget, dont want a cheap (crappy) but not a pro set by any means. An all in one kit if you will. I can get reflectors seporait and back drops... Feel free to ask for more details if I didnt narrow it enough. Thanks!

Marc

You should check out this site, and click on "Lighting 101":

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Strobist has a lot of very good info on lighting. They really focus on setting up strobes, which has some great advantages:

-cheaper than studio lights
-extremely portable
-very versatile

So if you're looking for quality, I think this will get you a quality set up but not at a pro price, this is what I'm going to start building up. They tell you exactly what you need, what to do with it, and where to get it.

You can try a used set up, but make sure you can still get parts for it. And do get a good flash meter.

Most reactions

Back