Basic photography course (online)

http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php

this course is a basic course and is free, theres no instuctor or much feedback, but it's free and if I were paying 325 bucks I'd want it to be a classroom based classed so I could get immediate feedback and mentorship. Just my opionion, and I'm still a noob photographer.

Go to your local library and get a book.

Anything by Brian Peterson or John Hedgecoe would be good.

If you want to take a class, consider going to your local community college. The best part of the experience of taking a class is learning from fellow classmates and partaking in critiques.

The dpreview.com Learn/Glossary section is, I'd say fairly intermediate. Not for real beginners. I'm also looking for a guide that bridges the simplicity of CNET's lessons with DP Review's lessons.

BTW..library sounds like a good option! Hope the books are up-to-date.

Check out the links in my sig. They'll give you a solid foundation in the basics, and if you've got any questions, feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to help you out.

The basics of photography have not changed in 100 years.
yeah although burning and dodging are done in both the darkrom and the lightroom... one must admit that the way in which you go about it is vastly different.

yeah although burning and dodging are done in both the darkrom and the lightroom... one must admit that the way in which you go about it is vastly different.

However, I believe this thread is leaning more toward the basics of photography
in general, which is the same thing between digital and film. Burning and dodging
are pretty far in the future for people just starting out.

Go to your local library and get a book.

Anything by Brian Peterson or John Hedgecoe would be good.

If you want to take a class, consider going to your local community college. The best part of the experience of taking a class is learning from fellow classmates and partaking in critiques.

This would be my option.
I'd allso recomend National Geographics photography field guide series.
Great books, very informative.

I personally would not waste money learning "the basics". There are many good books that give you a good handle on the basics and the internet is filled with places that can fill in any knowledge lacking in.

I would not mind paying for an advanced class... but basic photography, though perhaps a little challenging for someone new, is not rocket science and easily learned if you take the time, read and practice.

The thing is you have to learn to be proactive in your self-education. Get that book from the library, and with camera in hand, practice the techniques they are discussing.

Have fun and enjoy!

Most reactions

Back