Basic website building help

CouncilmanDoug

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I really need to build a website for my work. What hosting companies do you guys use? Planning on building the website myself in dreamweaver. Any other tips or other recommendations for building it would be greatly appreciated.

I was in the same boat as you. I use Dreamhost off of many recommendations, it's probably one of the best.
I had also planned on using DreamWeaver, but decided to use a free service called Koken instead. It's a lot simpler and integrates well with Lightroom.
Check out my site with it:
Jacob Hoehler
Discount:
Lifehacker Web Hosting Special by DreamHost | DreamHost
Any questions please ask!

Get yourself a content management based system. Dreamweaver is great for editing code but building is a pain.

If you've never built a website before, your getting in over your head.

But if you insist on doing it yourself.

I use GoDaddy, never had an issue.

Look up HTML5, and CSS3. Learn the basics, and start small

If you need private help, pm me and I will be glad to walk you through it.

I've been researching dreamweaver more and yeah building all of that code is a little over my head. I originally wanted to build it myself just so I could have it look exactly how I want it to and have full freedom over everything, what website builders would you recommend starting out with then?

Squarespace is supper easy and looks great. Yo can even do a free 2 week trial.

I also recommend Squarespace. It is simple and easy to use and has a great professional quality to it.

If you're contemplating using Dreamweaver, I assume you've got some basic web development aptitude. Is so, something like Wordpress should be well within your grasp, and it'll beat the snot out of trying to build something yourself from scratch. Especially nice: when you decide you want to change the look of the site (and you will), you can move stuff around, reorganize, and re-theme in WP without having to change much of your content at all.

Although Wordpress is among the easiest self-hosted options, it's still not zero-maintenance. It's been getting easier with each release (new versions self-update now), but you should still count on a little time for maintenance. Options like Smugmug & Zenfolio are popular because they're even easier to set up and maintain, but you lose a little bit of self-control and (of course) you're paying a little bit for them.

Most reactions

Back