Basketball Lens question

LINYBIMMER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone - long time lurker - first time poster. I have an opportunity to shoot my daughters bball team at a famous arena. My gear is a 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8.
I'm thinking of renting the 85 1.4 to have along as well. Any thoughts or comments on the lineup? I will have courtside access.

Thanks for your help. PS - I'm a Sony Alpha 700 user.

The 24-70 will be a great lense for shooting at the same end of the court. Bump up your ISO and you are ready. One thing I do to help get shots is to focus on the bottom of the net at one end from the corner and wait for the action to come to me. You can get good action shots of rebounds and layups from there and don't have to mess with focus.
Your longer zoom will work great for close ups of the coach and bench, time outs thing like that but you will probably find it too tight to catch action except at the other end.
Have fun! It is so much fun to be able to be courtside when your kids are in the game.
Here is a link someone in this forum referenced in another thread that talks about using your flash in the gym, some really good ideas if you are going to do this a lot.
Strobist: On Assignment: Speedlighting a College Gym

you have great equipment to start with.

The 85 1.4 is a good idea, if it's not going to cost you a fortune, it might be an idea, however at f1.4 you have such a small plane of focus, that it might be a bit too wide open for sports. I normally shoot at f2.8 and as long as you can crank the iso (basketball courts are normally very dark) you should be fine. With the 1.4 it might be harder to keep things in focus, but it could work out.

Most reactions

Back