Basketball Photos

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Tonight I get the chance to shoot photos for the school paper at a women's basketball game (college Div I). I'll be courtside right next to the basket, so essentially underneath the basket. Any tips on getting shots in focus? I'm nervous about the lighting. I've got a D70 and the lens i've got appears to go down to f4 so i'm a little nervous about shooting at max iso. Would I need to shoot at the fastest shutter speed to stop motion, thus requiring max iso or could I get some stuff in focus at a slightly slower speed (and thus a lower iso)? Please let me know if you have any tips. I've never shot at such an event.

Thanks for any help,
Andrea

It's hard to say what you'll need to do. Usually the lighting is really bad in such places, but not always. It all depends on the environment. I would take some test shots when you get there to figure out the best settings and go from there.

At f/4.........hmmm....You're going to be pushing the ISO up alot to get a high shutter speed. I would stick with 1/250sec. and you might be able to get that with a gym or whatever lighting is in there.

If you can't do that, I would cut down on the number of shots I'm going, shoot in RAW, underexpose by a couple of shots (I've had to do that a lot) and then increase the exposure in your photo editing program

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back