"batch processing RAW" - a question

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally realized camera JPEG is just RAW + in-camera processing.

I've been playing with DPP - I understand there is a way to "batch process". I figure I can get sharper JPEGs then in-camera processing. DPP seem to default to sharpness (3), but I like (5) better.

Anyone know if in-camera process does anything else besides sharpness?

Also, can someone point me to tutorial/something about how to batch process using DPP? That "BATCH PROCESS" button only opens up a page that allows me to transfer RAW to JPEG without letting me specify sharpness. Can't find anything that allow me to apply sharpness (5) to everything selected.

Does Lightroom better handle batch processing of RAW? Would rather not buy another application (cost & learning curve reason), but can if I have to.

When you shoot JPEG, things like the sharpness setting, white balance, saturation & contrast are processed 'in camera'.

I don't use DPP but there should be a way to take all (or just some) of those settings and 'apply' them to a batch of images, as they are being converted to JPEG (or TIFF etc).

Lightroom is a much better tool for batch processing...AFAIK. Also, Lightroom uses a lossless work flow. That means that when you 'open' and edit the images. The program only saves the changes to made...without applying them to the image files. That way, you can make as many changes as you want, and it won't degrade the image. The edits are only applied as you output the images.

I wasn't fond of shooting RAW when I only had DPP and Photoshop (Adobe Camera RAW). I like it a lot better now that I use RAW Shooter Essentials (which was a precursor to Adobe's Lightroom.)

Thanks Big Mike.

Was hoping "Lightroom" was not part of the answer but seems like everyone is recommending it.

In DPP go to the 'Edit' menu up at the top. Select "Copy recipe to clipboard" (with whichever image you want selected). Now select all images that you want those settings applied to and paste the recipe. As far as I know there is not a way to copy only some of the settings.

I think Lightroom is far superior though. You can do the same thing, but apply only the white balance, or only the tone curve to all the other images. DPP applies all settings, so if the white balance (for example) was different in a few of them you would have to go back and fix it. Lightroom can do a ton of other stuff that DPP can't do too.

The in-camera processing probably bumps up the saturation too, not sure what else it does to the image.

Most reactions

Back