Battery grip for 30D - Why not use AA?

FidelCastrovich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So i got my 30D(Thanks to all who helped with the choice).
The grip comes with a battery magazine for 6 AA batteries - as you all know, and i just found out.
Does anyone use this magazine?On the face of it, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Get rechargeable batts., stick 'em in, and you don't need to spend ~$90 on an original Canon BP511.

What's your take?
Thanks.

P.S. I did just commit to buy a 2-pack of Sterlingteks(thank you PhotoForum "search" option!) of off Ebay, but would still like to know if anyone uses said magazine and why.

The ability to use AA batteries is sort of like an emergency back up plan...it's good to have but you hope you never have to use it.

If you are away from home and you don't have a place to charge your BP-511 batteries, you may be able to buy AA somewhere. That's the only real advantage that I see.

You will love you Sterlingtek batteries. I have been using them for years.

And please remember, disposable batteries are a real environmental problem. Use them only in the worst-case scenario, and then dispose of them properly.

Wooden Flatline

BP-511 Canon 1100mAh power, Lithium Ion. Other makes, same replacement battery, are 1900 mAh

Energizer and Duracell make 2400-2500 mAh AA batteries, Nickel-Metal Hydride = rechargeable. 8 for $15.99

Maybe someone can explain why I wouldn't want to use batteries with twice the power, that cost less? Plus I can use them in all kinds of other things, like flash units, scanners, radios, remote controls...

Otherwise I agree, I don't use disposables for anything except clocks, smoke detectors and my CO detector. My flashlights, FRS, calculators, stop watches, whatever, all have rechargeable batteries in them.

The price for a rechargable battery is about double an alkiline. They last for years!

Most reactions

Back