Battery grip for d7000

So the vibes I'm getting say go with a 3rd party if you want to void your warranty...

I don't guess saving $125 or so is worth voiding the warranty on a camera that is 10x that amount. Looks like I'll be going with Nikon.

Thank you all for your input!

A lot of concejcture, theories and old wive's tales: But has anyone ever heard of it actually happening? Anyone? .......Bueller? ................Bueller?

its not conjecture or theories, its whats stated in black and white, we're not saying theres no work around and we're not saying third party grips are the devil's play things that will guarantee to ruin your camera; but if you can get a nikon, would it hurt to get it and simply cover your bases?

this is no diff than the UV filter for protection or the Canon and Nikon debates when it comes to finding an answer that can put the questions to rest, however unlike those, we have factual black and white understanding of how Nikon or Canon may respond to something they don't see eye to eye with.

unless you can show me a considerable number of cases of people taking their camera that had operating issues after using a third party grip (to Nikon's and Canon's knowledge upon presentation of the camera) were then fixed and covered under warranty then you have no equal say in telling us we're wrong to raise a flag of caution...that all it is. a word of caution.

So the vibes I'm getting say go with a 3rd party if you want to void your warranty...
No. Just using a 3rd party piece of gear will not void the warranty, but Nikon will not do a warranty repair for a problem caused by 3rd party gear.

For instance, your camera developes an issue because of materials and workmanship supplied by Nikon, but your camera has a 3rd party grip on it that had zero influence on the current issue.

Nikon requires you remove any grip, battery or memory card in the camera before you ship it to them for a repair (warranty or otherwise).

In the case of a warranty issue directly related to materials and workmanship supplied by Nikon, they would repair the camera under the warranty terms.

Nikon's camera warranty is only good for a year so after that using 3rd party gear no longer matters.

.............unless you can show me a considerable number of cases of people taking their camera that had operating issues after using a third party grip (to Nikon's and Canon's knowledge upon presentation of the camera) were then fixed and covered under warranty then you have no equal say in telling us we're wrong to raise a flag of caution...that all it is. a word of caution.

That's exactly my point. I haven't heard tell of a rash of camera failures due to aftermarket grips, let alone Nikon putting the kabosh on all those mythical failures. I was simply asking for empirical data which, to date, no one has been able to supply.

truth is i cant give you data. you cant give me data.

we were simply giving a word of caution.

you were simply outlining the benefits of going third party.

there's no right or wrong but data or no data, either one of us shouldn't not present the opinions we have, personally i dont mind third-party products but at the same time i am very aware of the considerations that need to be taken when looking into them and base any decision i make in all aspects - be them hypothetical, conjuncture or factual empirical data. so if someone is asking about third party grips and are genuinely unsure about the diff...i will make sure they know the whole picture before they make their decision...

I have the nikon one for the d90 and acutally for what i paid, i was let down with the quality, it is plastic and when i use it with my blackrapid strap the two clang together, so i would save your money get the off brand. however i do say this never using the off brand, i just am not impressed with the nikon one.

Very interesting Netskimmer! Thank you for sharing that! That makes my decision even tougher!

Higher grade camera bodies and vertical grips have a metal chassis, or a metal panel or 2 (like the D7000), for 3 reasons:
  1. protection from nearby electronic interference
  2. heat dissipation
  3. durability.
The Nikon MB-D11 vertical grip has a magnesium metal alloy chassis. The knockoff vertical grips don't, and are all plastic. So for the lower cost all plastic knockoffs, you are trading away the durability, heat dissipation, and less protection from electronic interference.

Magnesium alloy also boasts vital heat dissipation properties, and provides superior electromagnetic-wave-shielding characteristics.
Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D Technology THE POWER TO CHANGE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY

I went with the genuine nikon grip, and haven't looked back. I've never tried a third party, but i feel it's foolish to spend all this money on my camera then put some cheap grip on it.. But maybe that's just me. Or maybe that's me being a tag whore. Either way, i love the grip, i can definitely tell it is built well (being the first nikon grip to include magnesium alloy in its build). It was worth it for me.

I am wanting to get a battery grip for my D7000
Thanks!

I've never quite understood this need.
I get several hundreds of shots on each battery (D700) and would rather have the extra weight in my pocket than in my hand.
I can switch back and forth from landscape to portrait faster with my hands in the 'normal' position than changing hands to use a battery grip.

Yes, it does look much cooler but I'm so uncool otherwise that it wouldn't make a difference.

I get several hundreds of shots on each battery (D700) and would rather have the extra weight in my pocket than in my hand.
I can switch back and forth from landscape to portrait faster with my hands in the 'normal' position than changing hands to use a battery grip.

Yes, it does look much cooler but I'm so uncool otherwise that it wouldn't make a difference.

It's not so much that you are carrying more battery capacity on-board, but are able to grip and manipulate the camera better. You can just as easily put just one battery in, either the camera or the grip, and save weight.

Another plus is the ability to run the camera on six AA batts..... if your proprietary EN-EL15s do manage to die, AAs are available just about everywhere. I carry six in my bag for this as well as my SB600.

The_Traveler said:

LOL I bet you aren't that uncool ;)
I had no intention of buying a grip until I held a friend of mine's D7000 that had one. I really liked the way I could maneuver his camera from landscape to portrait and the way it felt in my hand. I decided then and there that when I got my D7k in, I would get a grip for it. I don't mind the added weight. (however, I am going to be asking you guys about good monopod and tripod recommendations later today!)

Being able to use AA batteries in a crunch is an added benefit of the grip. I'm pretty good at charging my batteries, but if I do ever forget or I just run them completely out, the grip may save me.

And if grips are totally useless, why do both Canon & Nikon make high-end camera with 'grips' already 'attached'?

Most reactions

Back