Battery Grip Nikon D610

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, and than you for looking. Long story short, I came back to photography, after quitting film, several years ago, and would love the extra battery life

I came back to photography, and after a long discussion with numerous TPF forum members bought, after TPF members input, Nikon's, entry level FX, and a 50mm f/1.4G lens.

My prior film experience will carry over, but not the nuances of DSLR. I'm ready for learning, without just setting the ISO and focusing, like I did with all may old F serious Nikons and A series Canons's.

Given this information, and the fact that I don't have to cram a 3fps motor drive on the bottom, I thought I'd like one of the grips on the market, due to the fact that I like to go camping for 3 or 4 days in a role.

I'm looking at a Nikon at 200 bucks, new, discounted at Adorama, and the exact same price at BH (isn't that just a coincident). Anyway:

I've read about many of the off brand models. Many have fit problems, others just cause all kinds of bad things, period. I guess my question is, is there an aftermarket product that works great, has a shutter button, and is an excellent all around piece.

Please, if possible, just give me info on equipment that you're experienced with.

I would like to proclaim my true appreciation, to all of you who give so much of your time, for your down time, can the time that you're time that you're actually shooting.

J.

Last edited:
I tried some of the aftermarket grips and they either broke or just quit working. One actually prevented the monitor on the camera from working. Take my advice and go OEM.

I think, without making this a long tread, you are right, guy. The more I "google" (make that read), the more I think you're right.
J.

Last edited:
The Nikon own brand has same level of weather sealing as the d610, so I vote that one

I don't doubt that your right. But, at the beginning of this thread, I was hoping to get away from tne Nikon, soley based on it's cost. Many other brands available, I know. I was hoping to get a high end battery grip, but it looks like that isn't going to happen, so I guess I'll just buy Nikon.

Thanks guys,
FT

Last edited:
I have used off brand grips on many cameras with no issues. Hahnel, neewer and others do them, most work quite well. Check Amazon and you can read review on each off brand one. It seems a shame though to buy such a good camera and cheap out on the grip. To be fair if you only want it for longer battery life why not buy some batteries. The grip is only an extra carry for camping. Some buy grips for ergonomics more than battery life, but in your case it may be better just batteries

For camping I aways leave the body with the grip at home and take the body without grip and a couple extra batteries and memory cards.

......... It seems a shame though to buy such a good camera and cheap out on the grip.
Yes. Don't know what I was thinking. Ordered the Nikon. Might have been smarter to take the suggestion to just buy extra batteries. I guess I'll see how things work out.

Thanks to all...

FT

Most reactions

Back