Battery grip question

Read some reviews on it.

I have knock off grips for two of my cameras that came from Link-Delight and I am very happy with them.

I have knock off grips for two of my cameras that came from Link-Delight and I am very happy with them.

See the thing is I dont want to buy a genuine Canon one because of the price which is £100 without a battery and then jessops charge about £70 per battery. A friend of mine who also has a 600D only buys genuine products because he says the knock off batteries arent as good for some reason, I cant see why when I always used a cheap battery in my Lumix G1 which im selling now.

See the thing is I dont want to buy a genuine Canon one because of the price which is £100 without a battery and then jessops charge about £70 per battery. A friend of mine who also has a 600D only buys genuine products because he says the knock off batteries arent as good for some reason, I cant see why when I always used a cheap battery in my Lumix G1 which im selling now.

I know there are some brands out there that people say are garbage. I don't know what, I just know that I have had excellent luck with the stuff I have bought thru Link-Delight. In fact for my 7D the batteries I am using the canon one is MUCH weaker than the ones I ordered through them. I absolutely love the grip on my 7D which I think I might have paid $50 for. I did buy the upgraded one through them, not just the very basic one. Photography Equipment - Outdoor Equipment - Photography Accessories

I see the ones for the MKIII start at over $100, but still a good deal. I bought 3rd party batteries for my 20D and 40D from Sterlingtek, but I don't think they do battery grips. Had a problem with one and they promptly replaced it.

When I bought a used 30D on ebay a little less than 2 years ago, it came with a Canon battery grip and 2 Canon batteries and 2 off-brand batteries. I found the off-brand batteries worked just as well and lasted as long as the Canons.

When I upgraded to a 60D last December, I bought an 'imitation Canon' grip on ebay that other than being a bit "plasticy", works perfectly with the 60D.

While looking at upgrading once more to a 5D3, comments I read on this and other websites, as well as Amazon.com about non-Canon grips for the 5D3, apparently the more common of the knock-offs have problems such as battery drain while turned off, etc. So when I ordered my 5D3 2 days ago, I bit the bullet and got the 'real deal' Canon grip and 2nd Canon battery. There's too many hard-earned dollars there to risk screwing something up just to save a few bucks.

Bottom line, check out the compatible grips. Some brands have good reputations...some don't. Do your homework. Google them and read the comments. Check out the reviews of the grips on Amazon.com as well.

I know there are some brands out there that people say are garbage. I don't know what, I just know that I have had excellent luck with the stuff I have bought thru Link-Delight. In fact for my 7D the batteries I am using the canon one is MUCH weaker than the ones I ordered through them. I absolutely love the grip on my 7D which I think I might have paid $50 for. I did buy the upgraded one through them, not just the very basic one. Photography Equipment - Outdoor Equipment - Photography Accessories

Site is US only and I cant wait too long for a grip lol thanks anyway. Sometimes the fake/knock off batteries are more mAh than the standard genuine batteries, the ones in the link I posted are 1350mAh

When I bought a used 30D on ebay a little less than 2 years ago, it came with a Canon battery grip and 2 Canon batteries and 2 off-brand batteries. I found the off-brand batteries worked just as well and lasted as long as the Canons.

When I upgraded to a 60D last December, I bought an 'imitation Canon' grip on ebay that other than being a bit "plasticy", works perfectly with the 60D.

While looking at upgrading once more to a 5D3, comments I read on this and other websites, as well as Amazon.com about non-Canon grips for the 5D3, apparently the more common of the knock-offs have problems such as battery drain while turned off, etc. So when I ordered my 5D3 2 days ago, I bit the bullet and got the 'real deal' Canon grip and 2nd Canon battery. There's too many hard-earned dollars there to risk screwing something up just to save a few bucks.

Bottom line, check out the compatible grips. Some brands have good reputations...some don't. Do your homework. Google them and read the comments. Check out the reviews of the grips on Amazon.com as well.

I usually take batteries straight out of the camera after use but i'll do some research now

Site is US only and I cant wait too long for a grip lol thanks anyway. Sometimes the fake/knock off batteries are more mAh than the standard genuine batteries, the ones in the link I posted are 1350mAh

I wouldn't put TOO much stock in higher mAh ratings unless it's a brand you trust or you have third party reviews actually stating it lasts longer. It's not like these batteries are shipped off to a third party to be evaluated, the companies do that. Sometimes they use more 'liberal' testing methods, and sometimes they flat out lie. It's kind of like audio equipment. The cheaper brands usually have MUCH higher wattage than the high end ones. But in reality, the high end stuff puts out more power, volume, and clarity. Put it on a third party test bench, and that 500 watt off brand amp might put out half the power of a 300 watt name brand amp.

I know what you mean with the amp thing lol i've had problems when I got my car by buying a cheap amp then got a really good one and noticed the difference

I don't remember the brand of mine but I bought it on Amazon for half the price of the Canon one without a battery, but I already had two batteries, so I was good. I have been pleased with it so far.

I bought off brand batteries for my canon T3i and they caused OOF problems and the camera would shut itself off at times. Then I noticed the off brand were 7.4V and canon were 7.2V so look at what you get before you use them....JMBL

Most reactions

Back