Battery Grips

hehe. My battery grip is a total POS, but i LOVE it! It does not even have an extra shutter realese or any extra buttons. But i did only pay like 40 for it. I love how it make the camera seem a lot bigger and much easier to hold. It also make it look ten times cooler.

I've been hearing that about all the Canon grips. Apparently, the gear for the tightening screw is plastic and people tend to over tighten it and it becomes worn. The problem is that it doesn't feel really tight, which is why people over tighten it in the first place. I don't know if the new 'N' grip is any better.

On one hand, Canon probably doesn't want to make them to good. Remember that their pro level bodies have a built-in grip. So theoretically, if they made really good grips for lesser cameras, it might cannibalize some of their pro body sales.

I seriously doubt some one who's seriously thinking about purchasing a $4000-$8000 pro camera would serious stick with their 40D because Canon decided to make a darn fine grip.

I got mine from B&H for $129. It was a used Canon grip. It's only been off the camera twice since I've had to show people what the body itself looks like.

The opteka's sometimes come with complaints....

My phottix grip is one giant battery. I picked it out because it doesn't have the drawers. It's fun to use on long shoots, but since getting it I have gotten used to using spare batteries and I think I like the lighter weight. It is nice once in a while to have a change in grip.

I love my grip on my D200. The extra bulk alone made it worth it for me

see below

I did quite a bit of research on this recently, and here's a summary of my research at least:

Opteka makes good grips for the Canon Rebel XT/XTi. Opteka makes crap for the 20D/30D/40D series. The people complaining about the Opteka on the XXD cameras complain that it doesn't always make connection. Even though the Optekas are reported to come from the same mold as the Canons, there's something not right with the BG-E2/BG-E2N mockups.

A BG-E2 for $54? Check the details, the BGE2's are going USED for at least $100, as far as I know. If it is truly a BG-E2, then you found a steal. Just make sure it's not an off-brand.

So... is this a bad deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Vertica...ryZ27432QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IT looks like a dedent deal, but I did notice that the add says "....functions like Canon BG-E2, ..."

So I would say that it is not an actual Canon grip.

CHeers

All the way to the bottom ...

"
This is NOT Canon made goods and high quality third party goods with big discount from the original one."

I bought my wireless remote (shutter button) - forgot what it's called. ... anyways I got that from them.

$180 for something that lot of people seem to have probs is "no-go".

$60 is awfully tempting ... please tell me how yours work out, if you get it :)

"I'm too poor to buy cheap things"
"buy cheap, pay twice"

All common phrases around the world. Do I buy some cheap crap made in China or do I buy something decent? If I buy cheap crap then I spend X if I buy decent then I spend 2X. If I buy cheap crap and it doesn't work then I have paid X and then have to pay 2X to get the real thing.

Rhys, I agree with you.

But in this case, the $180 isn't getting the best reviews.

It's more like "$180 piece of not so crud", or "$60 piece of crud".

Positive about Canon crud is that you have that 1 year warranty to mangle it :) ... wonder if they have disclaimer about over-tightening that screw?

I thank you for all of you output. I might play it safe and go with the BG-E2 instead of the BG-E2N we'll see. I'll have to save up the money since I just spent all mine on the 40D :D.

I love my battery grip. I also shoot 5-8 hours at a time... Worth every penny. I have one for my D200.

I have a BG-E2N on my Canon 40D. It's tight, fits well, holds AA's and well as a pair of BP-511's. I haven't pushed the limits of batteries yet - I haven't had but one little practice portrait assignment, so I'm out on usefulness and length, although it seems to stand to reason there.

I didn't buy the grip for the batteries, though: I bought it for the grip. I used to shoot a 1N, and it was a monster. I sold it and started shooting my A2 backup body, and it was - for an already large body - too "small feeling". I have dinky-ass little hands, and little cameras, oddly, feel funny. I bought a vertical grip (no battery) for my A2, and I was happy.

I Ebayed mine. It was pricey regardless - brand new from some guy in the midwest it was $140, with all parts, unregistered warranty card, the AA tray, and shipping. It was an admittedly frivolous buy, given my level of work and the fact I would be happy even if it didn't take extra batteries, but I'll live with that, and the fact I'm more comfortable shooting with it, especially in portrait with the second button and dial.

One note: the AA battery tray is a VERY cool feature, but I had heard it was a little flimsy. Once I got mine I checked it out and...it's a little flimsy. I'm afraid to put it in my bag without some kind of case, because I'm certain I'll take it back out in little bits.

Cheers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back