Battery

mickmoonie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to DSLR usage, can my D80 battery be charged while still I'm the camera or will I just toast it all?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Three batteries and two charges and you won't have to think about things like this.

Both of my Nikon cameras have separate chargers, and the battery had to come out of the camera to be charged in the charger.
So NO I could not use the cameras as the battery is being charged.

I have TWO batteries. Though in practice, so far, I have never exhausted #1, to the point where I had to switch to #2. But I have #2, for when that will sooner or later happen to me.

If you are going on a vacation, that is a different situation, and I agree with Dave.
You may not be able to do a charge every night, so you need 2 days of batteries.
And now that you have 2 or 3 drained batteries, you need at least 2 chargers.
This is the downside of the electronic camera.

I have the MB-D80 battery grip and three batteries for my D90. I've yet to need that third battery.

I have the MB-D80 battery grip and three batteries for my D90. I've yet to need that third battery.

Do you find the battery grip useful as I have one on order, would be nice to get another opinion?

I do not like the bulk and weight they add.
I can shoot in portrait mode just fine w/o a grip.

However, I have friends that just love their grip for portrait mode shooting, and don't mind the extra weight.

Do you find the battery grip useful as I have one on order, would be nice to get another opinion?

I do not like the bulk and weight they add.
I can shoot in portrait mode just fine w/o a grip.

However, I have friends that just love their grip for portrait mode shooting, and don't mind the extra weight.

I shoot film with a Nikon F5. What weight?

It's been mounted to the camera since day one. I use the camera frequently and I only know how it handles with it mounted. See above as well.

I must add I started as a film shooter (still do) so rarely resort to spray and pray. Even though the F5 will wipe out a roll of film in a few seconds...... or is it because?

I have 2 batteries in my grip and two back-ups just in case. Most of the time you will not have a need for so much juice, but I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I have an external dual charger for my batteries so I can charge two simultaneously.

You won't regret the purchase. Yes, it adds weight, but you don't have to use it all the time. It does help in portrait mode and if you need to use the built in flash, it's nice to have the extra juice.

Have one for my T2i and 4 batteries. Love it. I've got big hands and feels more secure. Plus I can take a LOT of shots over a weekend in the woods and not worry about it. Take it off for evening walks or bike rides. I find it very useful.

I like the added bulk and weight as my tests made years ago indicated both enhanced my ability to hand hold a DSLR.
It's also a big reason why Nikon and Canon pro models have a vertical grip built right into the camera body.

Most reactions

Back