Beach Sunrise

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_1772.jpg$IMG_1805.jpg$IMG_1773.jpg

Good morning all. Please provide feedback, thanks in advance.

1. Canon T4i w/ 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II @ 214mm, f/11, 1/50, ISO 100. I edited it to have more definition on the waves and kind of over-saturated to give a feeling of warmth of the sunrise.

2. Canon T4i w/ 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II @ 79mm, f/11, 1/400, ISO 400. I did the similar edits with the ideas of the first picture but I liked the idea of the waves crashing in as the sun rose.

3. Canon T4i w/ 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II @ 250mm, f/11, 1/50, ISO 100. Pretty much the same as one just with a bit more saturation.

Last edited:
Not bad! You may not get a lot of comments just because sunset shots are a dime a dozen around here, but unlike many of the other photos at least your horizons are straight :) I like the composition of the 2nd image, it would have been better if the sun & other bright spots weren't quite so blown out. Perhaps a panoramic-type crop centering on the wave & the beach would improve it?

Not bad! You may not get a lot of comments just because sunset shots are a dime a dozen around here, but unlike many of the other photos at least your horizons are straight :) I like the composition of the 2nd image, it would have been better if the sun & other bright spots weren't quite so blown out. Perhaps a panoramic-type crop centering on the wave & the beach would improve it?

Thanks! I know sunrise shots are quite cliche but...I am trying to save money on gas and the beach is literally 5 miles away...

Gotta save money to throw back into EQUIPMENT! :lol:

If you have the beach 5 miles away, consider yourself fortunate. I have to drive 6 hours to see any salt water. And that's non-stop.

The sunset images are very nice, but not particularly noteworthy. As Blacksheep noted, they are pretty common. To make them more interesting, you can consider including some kind of framing foreground element, and the inclusion of flying birds (as in the third shot) usually improves the image. The best sunset images are often showing heavy clouds, with the sun breaking through, and these often create gorgeous sunbeams. In general, landscape images benefit from contrast and drama. Now perhaps your skill at moving clouds into the right position may be a little rusty, so you have to do what the rest of us do, which is to try to be at the right place, right time, and have our camera with us when it happens.

If you have the beach 5 miles away, consider yourself fortunate. I have to drive 6 hours to see any salt water. And that's non-stop.

The sunset images are very nice, but not particularly noteworthy. As Blacksheep noted, they are pretty common. To make them more interesting, you can consider including some kind of framing foreground element, and the inclusion of flying birds (as in the third shot) usually improves the image. The best sunset images are often showing heavy clouds, with the sun breaking through, and these often create gorgeous sunbeams. In general, landscape images benefit from contrast and drama. Now perhaps your skill at moving clouds into the right position may be a little rusty, so you have to do what the rest of us do, which is to try to be at the right place, right time, and have our camera with us when it happens.

You are too right sir. I consider myself fortunate in all aspects of my life but that is an entire different conversation. I have read all about framing and yet when I got out to take pictures it completely escapes me! I will have to strive to remember these techniques.

I love number two. As soon as I clicked I went OOOO! I think it's really pretty and a little different with the wave crashing and the reflection on the sun on the sand!

Where in VB are you shooting? I opened my first 3 restaurants in VB, and when I had free time, found a lot of hidden spots to capture unique views around the place. ?.SO MUCH WATER, and water ways, a lot of opportunities for wildlife, sunrise/sets, and water shots in general.

Thanks for sharing, nice shots. Sounds silly, I wish the buoy was vertical, but it does capture the swell and condition of the Atlantic.

Where in VB are you shooting? I opened my first 3 restaurants in VB, and when I had free time, found a lot of hidden spots to capture unique views around the place. ?.SO MUCH WATER, and water ways, a lot of opportunities for wildlife, sunrise/sets, and water shots in general.

Thanks for sharing, nice shots. Sounds silly, I wish the buoy was vertical, but it does capture the swell and condition of the Atlantic.

These were at Rudee Inlet and I try to get over to Sandbridge too when I want beach shots but there are a lot of places. I really want to get over to Downtown Norfolk to do some long exposure shots. Where in NOVA do you live? I am grew up in Stafford. Thanks for the compliments.

These were at Rudee Inlet and I try to get over to Sandbridge too when I want beach shots but there are a lot of places. I really want to get over to Downtown Norfolk to do some long exposure shots. Where in NOVA do you live? I am grew up in Stafford. Thanks for the compliments.

I'm in old town Fairfax, moved here 4 years ago from Honolulu.

Downtown has some great shots, Ghent specifically for some age, and character of the city. Getting out on the cobblestone roads, down on the water is great as well.

I know Rudees well, surfed 1st every morning for years. Worked as the exec Sous Chef at Rockefellers for about 5 years. I still miss my lil place in Shadowlawn off Carolina.

Yes...I usually thank people that give me a compliment. I am honestly confused...

Last edited:
Juga, I think that was a spambot. For some reason, they always (or almost always) have some link at the end of a short phrase. That phrase may echo something said earlier in the post, but can also be only vaguely relevant. If you see a new poster with a short phrase and a clickable picture, it's almost always a bot. When I come across these, I just alert the mods by hitting the little triangle icon at the bottom of the post. They then remove the posts. Quoting such a bot makes it a bit harder, which is why we've been asked not to quote these.

I like the second one, with the waves because it isn't showing much sky. People usually show a lot of sky in their sunrise/sunset shots, which I don't usually like. It's the stuff being hit with the light that makes a shot interesting, not just the pretty light itself.

Juga, I think that was a spambot. For some reason, they always (or almost always) have some link at the end of a short phrase. That phrase may echo something said earlier in the post, but can also be only vaguely relevant. If you see a new poster with a short phrase and a clickable picture, it's almost always a bot. When I come across these, I just alert the mods by hitting the little triangle icon at the bottom of the post. They then remove the posts. Quoting such a bot makes it a bit harder, which is why we've been asked not to quote these.

Thanks...I did not know that.

Most reactions

Back