Beatles

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
OK... I told myself I wouldn't do this, but here goes. (I feel a bit like a school girl)

I see quite a few of you are in the UK. And, being THE fan, I can't help wondering if anyone has made any photos or have any stories re: Beatles.

I know it's a big country, but I'm such a Lennon fan I had to ask.

A bit like saying, "You're for Chicago?! Do you know Dave?!"

Never apologize for being Beatles fan. ;) After all, they wrote the book. Any musician will tell you that.

When Paul McCartney was touring here a few years ago (Driving USA Tour) my girlfriend smuggled in her crappy little P&S digital, major no-no. She was snapping away and got caught red-handed, but while they were marching her off she slipped the memory card out without being seen and just handed over the camera, and they let her come back to the show.

It would be a classic story if the pictures had actually been worth a crap, but they were fuzzy and terrible. :lol:

Paul McCartney rocked, though - I was so happy with that show. I'd been fearing this major production, but it was just him and a 5-piece band, working their butts off up there, changing out instruments, etc. :thumbup: Wonderful stuff. :D

terri said:
Never apologize for being Beatles fan. ;) After all, they wrote the book. Any musician will tell you that.

Paul McCartney rocked, though - I was so happy with that show. I'd been fearing this major production, but it was just him and a 5-piece band, working their butts off up there, changing out instruments, etc. :thumbup: Wonderful stuff. :D

I agree on both accounts! Paul's show was perhaps the best R&R show I have ever seen! Paul performed straight for over three hours, many encores and requests from the audience. It was the last show of that tour, here in Phoenix and I enjoyed every bit of it. Made me feel young again!:mrgreen:

Both of my parents came from Liverpool and I still have family there - and I believe I have seen one or two Scousers on the board.
Ringo was born about 10 doors down from the house where my father was born. My sister was one of the first fan club members and she dragged me along to see their films - but she never took me with her to a concert.
My hero was George. Great guitarist and did so much for British film.

When digging through some boxes of a family friend (Former photographer) I found several 120 rolls with shots of the Beatles on them, undeveloped. When I finished with them I had some cool prints, and I'm thinking about selling the negatives on ebay :p

My parents created my love for The Beatles, i've spent countless hours listening to vinyl and CD's (sounds better on vinyl :D )

Fave Album would have to be The White Album. :)

A few years ago the Palm Beach Photo center had a show of Linda McCartney work. She had some very nice stuff and shot for Rolling Stone magazine when it first started out. I think she used a Leica M3. Your best bet may be to get some of her book.

I saw one of Linda's books on the bargain rack at B&N once a couple years ago and I still regret not picking it up, she had some really interesting stuff in it.

I rember reading somewhere when she married Paul that Linda was the Eastman-Kodak heiress. If it was true I'm suprised they didn't promote her more. I went to an exhibition of her work many years back and heard a critic commenting that her only redeeming feature was that she knew a lot of famous people. I thought it was a bit harsh as some of her stuff was rather good.
She's remembered here now mainly for a range of frozen vegetarian food, which is rather sad.

Linda Eastman is not associated with Eastman-Kodak. The fact that her last name was Eastman and she happened to be a kick-ass photographer easily led to that misrepresentation. But her father was a lawyer, I believe.

She did know "people", and got some plum assignments, no doubt - but she worked as hard as anyone and snagged some great shots. There is a picture of Pete Townshend in mid-jump with his guitar that is spectacular - she anticipated the jump by the way he was moving and made the capture.

She did the majority of the photography on Paul McCartney's albums. It's easy to criticize her: some of them look like family snapshots because they were, in fact, family snapshots. It was a deliberate effort for the desired personal feel of the records. He always wanted it that way, still does it that way (look at Driving Rain). She just made it easy. :)

But she was a professional and knew her stuff. All you have to do is peruse one of her books to appreciate that.

I agree with Hertz that it is regrettable that her name is now mainly associated with the recent line of frozen vegetarian foods. Obviously she started it based on her animal rights beliefs, but these days it does seem to cheapen her, because she was an intelligent, very talented woman. :heart:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back