Beautiful examples of technically terrible images

There are days when I feel like understanding how an image works is like understanding how the Raiders Won Yesterday (i.e. pretty straightforward, at least in hind-sight) and there are days when I feel like understanding how an image works is like understanding why the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 48 points yesterday (i.e. you can find some factors, but only fools think they explain "why" in any meaningful way).

I can tell if an image is well composed before any other aspect.

You ever wonder why some modern art features only one colored shape is considred art? Because it is composed well.

Composition is the foundation of all art.

There may be no hard rules, but if there was rule #1 would be composition with a follow up of balance and symmetry.

^^^^^^ I agree ...the image of the boat is great ...... I hate all these so called photo rules, I think they are there for those that do not have a clue about what makes a good picture. The boat picture is an example of what I am talking about .... The image is great and does not need rules

Actually the boat follows the rules of composition quite well.

skieur

ee cummings said it best.... "since feeling is first who pays attention to the syntax of things"

To answer his question: those who are sufficiently literate to read.

Well said, these pics didn't have technical problem. they are good pics.

Look again at the first one. Notice exposure and focus.

I don't see the problem with exposure.

All I see are the general trade-offs that have to be made given the dynamic range of film and our current digital technology.

Where can I buy a copy of the rulebook for composition? Is it sold at Sports Authority, right next to the Rules of American High School Football? Can I get a copy from the PPA or the ASMP? Is it sold at WPPI? I need my rule book!!!

Where can I buy a copy of the rulebook for composition? Is it sold at Sports Authority, right next to the Rules of American High School Football? Can I get a copy from the PPA or the ASMP? Is it sold at WPPI? I need my rule book!!!

If you buy that you MUST get the rulebook for proper exposure as well. If you're going to put your blinders on you should go all the way, ya know what I mean?

Derrel ...how have you survived without it....i can't imagine better call ASMP they will most likely have a copy ...with your name on it LOL

This image has a terrible exposure and a centered composition

FOR FRICKS SAKE.

PEOPLE

NEED

TO

GET

OVER

THIS

Of all the bullshart "rules" in photography, the "never center" rule is the bullest of shartiest.

This image has a terrible exposure and a centered composition

FOR FRICKS SAKE.

PEOPLE

NEED

TO

GET

OVER

THIS

Of all the bullshart "rules" in photography, the "never center" rule is the bullest of shartiest.

Right!

Plus the subject is not centered and has beautiful exposure.

The hilights are blown, but my guess is that the sunlight is the primary light source. If the natural light is what is being documented here, it doesn't make sense to use a flash. I'm also wondering if it's an older image and if so the pictorial influence may have had to do with the photographers choices here.

Even technical priorities aren't set in stone.

Photography Composition Articles Library

Look up also photography schools in Google.

Art Curriculum from your state education department

Associations of Photographic Art

Professional Photography Groups and Rules for Judging Competitions

Most reactions

Back