Beauty dish question...

ewick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The beauty dish is made for nice young soft skin, right? or can it be used for all around portraiture? I mean is it better to light up a face regardless of texture than a soft box or an umbrella outdoors? looking to invest in a beauty dish for my alien bees instead of a octagon soft box. any thoughts or opinions?

I use mine for all around portaiture outdoors mainly because they're much more portable than a softbox and more controllable than an umbrella.

It's really not a very good tool for "all around portraiture", since is has such steep fall-off at the edges of its beam. For a group shot for example, it's a terrible choice---since it has a hot center and very weak edges. SO, as an "all-around" light modifier, it's not good. A beauty dish is more of a tool for single-person work than for all-around use.

Yup, bad for groups but usually nice for couples or single portraits.

What I like about a beauty dish, is the solid structure and thus the durability. When on a wedding shoot, there is usually a lot of running to the car, chucking the gear in, and speeding off to the next location. With a hard dish, rather than a soft (squishy) box, you don't have to be as delicate. Not to mention bumping into things while going from place to place, or falling over etc.

I don't have one myself, yet, but I will.

It's really not a very good tool for "all around portraiture", since is has such steep fall-off at the edges of its beam. For a group shot for example, it's a terrible choice---since it has a hot center and very weak edges. SO, as an "all-around" light modifier, it's not good. A beauty dish is more of a tool for single-person work than for all-around use.

Good point Derrel, I should have detailed the post. In my head I was think about the beauty dish for single subject lighting. After reading the post I think a beauty dish will be a good investment for my alien bees and my new mini vagabond.

i use my dish everywhere....its the weapon of choice for single person to a group of 4..

i use my dish everywhere....its the weapon of choice for single person to a group of 4..

Guessing here LoL.....Either a HUGE dish, or backed up resulting in harsh light for a group of 4? Or are you bouncing the light of the wall with it =)

Did anyone point out that photographers who like extremely round catchlights in their subjects eyes generally go for the beauty dish?

Octobox would be a close 2nd for this.

Did anyone point out that photographers who like extremely round catchlights in their subjects eyes generally go for the beauty dish?

Octobox would be a close 2nd for this.

+1, I use both an octabox and dish, I like the rounded.

Guessing here LoL.....Either a HUGE dish, or backed up resulting in harsh light for a group of 4? Or are you bouncing the light of the wall with it =)

Usually use it oudoor for a bit a fill, no hash light if well balanced. bad guess.

Usually use it oudoor for a bit a fill, no hash light if well balanced. bad guess.

ohhh my bad indeed, apologies
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back