Been shooting with a PRIME for a while. Would love more universal lens.

MeddlinG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a D7000 and a 35mm f/1,8. This is my whole equipment. I have no problem with it, but I am going to go on vacation and I feel the fixed focal length might limit me a bit. I would like to have a more universal lens (for a wider shots, as well as closeups). I really like 18-105mm one as it is not expensive and people say it is not bad, however, I'd love to know your opinion to it. I am also thinking about shooting in a zoo and I feel 105mm FL might not be enough so I am looking for 18-200 as well. What do you think? Please note I am an amateur so I can't spend like $2000, at all. Let's say the price of 18-200 is my total maximum.

Hey,

I have a D7000 and a 35mm f/1,8. This is my whole equipment. I have no problem with it, but I am going to go on vacation and I feel the fixed focal length might limit me a bit. I would like to have a more universal lens (for a wider shots, as well as closeups). I really like 18-105mm one as it is not expensive and people say it is not bad, however, I'd love to know your opinion to it. I am also thinking about shooting in a zoo and I feel 105mm FL might not be enough so I am looking for 18-200 as well. What do you think? Please note I am an amateur so I can't spend like $2000, at all. Let's say the price of 18-200 is my total maximum.

I have a D7000 w/the 18-105mm and have been really happy with it as an all-around lens. The image quality from the lens surpasses my needs as a hobby photographer. There have only been a handful of times that I felt I did not have enough focal length, but quite honestly it's happened so rarely that I can't even remember what I was trying to capture when I realized I didn't have as much zoom as I wanted. To your point about 105mm not being enough for a zoo, you may be right.

Have you considered renting lenses to try them out?

I believe it is not possible to rent lenses here in Czech Republic. And I want that allaround lens for my other activities as well, not only for my vacation. Like for times when I can't run here and there with my 35mm trying to find the best angle.

EDIT: What about Tamron 18-270mm with VC? It is not that expensive and I really like the range.

I believe it is not possible to rent lenses here in Czech Republic. And I want that allaround lens for my other activities as well, not only for my vacation. Like for times when I can't run here and there with my 35mm trying to find the best angle.

EDIT: What about Tamron 18-270mm with VC? It is not that expensive and I really like the range.

Most zooms with a wide zoom range are a compromise , a compromise i am not willing to take

I shot with the 18-105 for a couple years and no one here ever vomited when I posted an image shot with it.

well for those of us that dont have millions to spend on lenses and have to compromise a little, i use my 55-250 kit lens and it seems to do the job. im not sure what the nikon equivalent is 50-200 or something. Just a suggestion for a fair bit more range.

You should probably avoid 10x zoom ranges (like 18-200, etc.) if you're used to shooting a prime. They are pretty noticeably lower quality (though by no means horrendous).

But 3-5x zoom ranges (like 18-105 or 24-70, etc.) tend to be much closer to the quality of a prime lens, and you probably won't notice a difference for typical handheld vacation shots.

18-105mm is a very good lens for a non pro user.
Instead of getting the 18-200 I would get the 18-105mm and 70-300 VR both used and probably still have money left.
I believe the 18-105mm used is around 150$-200$ and the 70-300mm VR is about 350$ used.
The combination of these 2 lenses will cover all your basic needs and more.

Hey,

It would be nice if people would put in their location when they ask questions like this. Be that as it may, while opinions on lenses are nice and this is a good place to get lots of user opinions on almost any lens. FM Reviews - I would suggest that you take your body and go to a good camera shop and check out the lenses you are interested in by shooting a few shots with them. See which one(s) meet YOUR standards since you will be the one using the lens you pick. There are some pretty much no brainer lenses, but as you said you aren't going to be spending $2,000.00+ for the lens so they are out of your reach.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back