Been thinking about upgrading to the D750

So what's the right thing to do? Ditch my full frame DSLR? Lol
Could be.

According to some reviewers the D750 is S*** and a far better camera is the D500.

Some reviewers are just plain dumb.

The D500 is better if you need better AF and better, faster, sustained burst. It's a fully pro camera but in DX form.

Unless if they're referring to the warranty issues that plagued Nikon D600, and then the D750... yes... makes me angry.

D500 vs D750.

To me .. it all depends.
It really comes down to the situation and how you are going to use it. The FF still has low light and real FOV, whereas the D500 AF, Burst, etc. If you are doing weddings and you want to be prepared for the worst case scenario in lighting, D750. If you are out birding, D500. Sports, well it depends.

Last weekend I shot outdoor soccer. And another issue reared it's ugly head which pushed me to the D600 from the D7000 years ago. I didn't have enough space to compensate the 1.5x crop factor of the D7000/D500 when the players are closer to me. Well, I could, but I would have been *in* the woods to the side of the soccer field, but you also increase your likelihood of more obstructions (people, etc). So in that instance the D750 due to focal length was a better option.

I do know when I get to games in a stadium, where I would be high in the stands and not on the field (such as games I did last year) that the D500 is the camera of choice. With games with very limited sidelines, then the D750 is the camera of choice.

Using 2 camera bodies is also the better option. But I try not to do that. But I do know that using a FF w/70-200 and DX camera w/150-600 is my best option for 100yd/100meter sized fields. With small fields though the FX once again, based on the lenses that I own, may be the better options. Except for the really small fields (U4-U5) where I would use the DX and 24-85 lens.

I also have noticed that the D500 drives my AF-D screw driven focused lenses faster than the D750. But I haven't noticed any significant improvement with my few AF-S lenses. Matter of fact the D500 AF requires a bit more contrast for fast focusing then the D750 and especially the D600. Add to that what seems the much smaller focus points of the d500's 153 AF points pushes one to use at least group/D25 where as you would get the same result of AF-S Single on the D750 when you want focus on just one player on a field with many players. Just a learning curve there. AF on moving subject using the Tracking is better on the D500 as it also has a much larger image coverage.

To me, there's pluses and minuses of each body. The D500 is a pro built system and reacts like one. But it goes back to understanding the differences, limitations, preferences, etc of a Full Frame vs Crop camera that exists between any 2 models.

I enjoy both cameras. The D750 was an evolution of the D600 and D7000 that I used in the past so I was very comfortable when I picked it up. But the D500 is a learning curve of how to use it's advanced functions much better. So it's taken some time but I really enjoy that camera too.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back