Before I make the leap and get a D80

cripple.lily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...I want to know what your guys' thoughts are on the D80 with an 18-135mm lens. I'd be using it mostly for sports photography so I think it would work out just fine. What I use for work is a D70 with an 18-70mm and 80-200mm, so the kit lens is a happy medium I would think, right? I'm more comfortable with Nikon so suggestions for Canon won't persuade me much :p But anyway, any advice/guidance or if you have a D80 and have something to share about it, please do!

I use one. I think it's pretty good.

The only negative is that I've found the focus a little slow on the 18-135mm.

That might be a pain for sports shots.

Oh, boo, that would be... so that's because of the lens then? Hm :/ I'll have to ask some questions at the store where I might buy it.

I only have two lenses currently (check the sig) and I think the 18-135 lens works great. It's not fancy or anything to brag about, but you can definitely shoot sports, etc. as long as the lighting is adequate.

...I want to know what your guys' thoughts are on the D80 with an 18-135mm lens. I'd be using it mostly for sports photography so I think it would work out just fine. What I use for work is a D70 with an 18-70mm and 80-200mm, so the kit lens is a happy medium I would think, right? I'm more comfortable with Nikon so suggestions for Canon won't persuade me much :p But anyway, any advice/guidance or if you have a D80 and have something to share about it, please do!

I think if you've already got a D70 and those two lenses, i'd get a D300 body instead and skip the kit lens.

..or am I misreading it and your 'work' camera isn't your own?

As long as the lighting is good and you can get quick shutter speeds, you should be fine. I have the d80 and it's a wonderful camera. But, if you have to use high ISO's to get faster shutter speeds, noise starts to show up at about ISO 400 and becomes an terrible at anything past 800.

I have a d80 with with the 18-135mm lens. It does fine, but am in the market to invest in one of the RV (stabilizer) series. If I had known then what I know now, I would have certainly purchased a stabilizer lens. Best wishes!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back