Before I take the plunge for a D850

That's not a drawback, it's an stellar advantage. You can crop severely. For example, I ditched my 70-200 3 lb beast with 22 pieces of glass and mediocre quality for my 135 dc with 7 pieces of glass and I don't have to twist a zoom ring, I just crop in post. Anyone who has spent days with a second body with the beast attached to it over your shoulder in addition to another body around your neck loves getting rid of that burden. And that applies to any lens, 35, 85 135 is all I need for an event. Now I don't need a serpa bearer for my gear. And with 46 mp I can crop more than half and still have plenty of resolution for any product from a wedding or event. The battery will last for a week using the grip

A 3 pound lens is a beast? I drag a 12.5 pound 400mm f/2.8 ED IF AIS Nikkor and 15 pound 600mm f/4 ED IF AIS NIkkor around with me all the time, now THOSE lenses are beasts. My 200mm f/2 ED IF AIS and 300mm f/2.8 ED IF AIS Nikkors both are both over 5 lbs and even my 50-300mm f/4.5 ED AIS Zoom Nikkor is right around 5.

A 3 pound lens is a beast? I drag a 12.5 pound 400mm f/2.8 ED IF AIS Nikkor and 15 pound 600mm f/4 ED IF AIS NIkkor around with me all the time, now THOSE lenses are beasts. My 200mm f/2 ED IF AIS and 300mm f/2.8 ED IF AIS Nikkors both are both over 5 lbs and even my 50-300mm f/4.5 ED AIS Zoom Nikkor is right around 5.
My 400 mm 2.8 rarely left home before I sold it, but I have a picture window in my master bedroom over looking a 200 yd long pond with dozens of wood storks, snow egrets, great egrets, blue herons, huge turtles, coyotes, and the wood ducks and mallards just arrived. I had the blinds pulled down to just above the lens, a piece of black velvet on a rolling posing table under it, 2 black scrims on either side, a permanent air conditioned blind. The 400 lived on a heavy tripod and gimbel head. But the birds are so used to me now the problem is keeping them outside the minimum focus distance of my 180mm. But I am a portrait photographer and you think that is a load? I just replaced the headliner in my Jeep a second time as when I load in 5 lights, 7 stands, modifiers, reflectors, a couple of cases of stuff, scrims, 2 batteries, a few 20 lb sand bags, backgrounds, background stands, ladder/handtruck and rolling cart, I fill it to the roof and the front seat. It has to be torn down in studio, loaded in the truck, unloaded, set up on location aiming all lights and reflectors, possibly moved around for additional set ups, then torn down, loaded in the truck, unloaded and set back up in studio. Whew, I'm tired just describing it. Hell, I have several rolling chrome steel light stands that each weigh 25 lbs , a 15 lb boom and a rolling camera stand that weighs as much. I'm getting too old for this stuff. And don't forget not only 2 digital bodies with grips and lenses but often a mamiya rb67 medium format camera with a couple lenses backs and film and possibly a 35 mm film camera that thankfully uses the nikon lenses for digital. Little wonder I sleep well after a location shoot. Whew, I need to get an assistant. And although I'm training for a bodybuilding competiton in november a location shoot still kicks my butt! However location shoots always get me out of the comfort zone, force me to "adapt, improvise, over come" the tat surrounding the breast of a lady marine I shot for a figure competition. Gear breaks, weather happens, problems with location admittance, are all things locations throw at you that are fun to address and still hit that home run. Did a shoot in an actual wells fargo stage coach building. Didn't scout it and it is a bar with chrome barstools, glass beer cases. Talk about get creative on the fly.

Rick, size matters. Thanks for the morning humor. I wish I had discovered 50 years ago I could draw and paint, it requires minimal gear.

The book taught me that I can move my fingers just fine but my brain gets in the way. She has you do some exercises that will make blood spurt from your eyes. For example, draw a chair next to you, but instead draw the spaces within and around it. Or copy a photo that is upside down. I bought it to exercise seeing light and shadow but it did way more. Taught me to get to the creative side of the brain.

I'll bet you're a regular at the gym!! My two lens 24-85, 28-300 is enough for me--but then again at almost 80 I could not tote any more.

In my last show, in my 70's, 3 times a day, 2 one hour cardio, one lifting, 6 days a week for 3 months. Eating 6 times a day. At my age, that's what it takes to get a 6 pack...and trade in this keg for my last show in November. It does take longer for me to recover these days. Part of my kit is a folding 3 step ladder that is a hand truck and a rolling cart that has a top tray for my lap top. For sand, a hand truck with 8 inch tires with 5 lb of pressure that rolls over ankle deep sand with 100lb of gear. I roll whenever I can on location. In studio the cart holds a string of A clamps 5 rolls of gaffer tape, on the lower shelf, camera bag with lenses for that shoot and it rolls right next to my rolling stand from which I tether to the lap top on the cart. The wheels was a great invention, especially for an old photographer without an assistant.

In my last show, in my 70's, 3 times a day, 2 one hour cardio, one lifting, 6 days a week for 3 months. Eating 6 times a day. At my age, that's what it takes to get a 6 pack...and trade in this keg for my last show in November. It does take longer for me to recover these days. Part of my kit is a folding 3 step ladder that is a hand truck and a rolling cart that has a top tray for my lap top. For sand, a hand truck with 8 inch tires with 5 lb of pressure that rolls over ankle deep sand with 100lb of gear. I roll whenever I can on location. In studio the cart holds a string of A clamps 5 rolls of gaffer tape, on the lower shelf, camera bag with lenses for that shoot and it rolls right next to my rolling stand from which I tether to the lap top on the cart. The wheels was a great invention, especially for an old photographer without an assistant.
Hang in there!! A ton of respect for your tenacity!

Just to complicate things, I found a used D800e at a great price on my local Craigslist. I had to buy, it included a 24-120 f4 lens. All for less than half of what I'm buying the D850 body for. It will be a nice backup ;)

Some of the latest ones, but I'd have to go back and check which ones. I'm juggling 3 different camera systems right now trying to decide on my workflow. Looks like the D850 as main camera and wildlife, the Sony a6500 for taking along in a fanny pack for landscapes and shots of opportunity, and a Canon 90D for vacation shots. Although any of them could interchange for another. For serious landscape work I'd use the D850 and my 16-35mm lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back