before the battle

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this one ages ago.

battle.jpg

Oh yes, Alex! This looks like it, too! It MUST have been taken "ages ago". Else I just CANNOT explain to myself... :scratch:

;)

OK, this was shot in 1999 in Boston.
In the background you can even see Boston, but that is painted. The "people" are miniatures.

So this is a diorama shot on film. If it was more in focus you would realise that those are not real people very easily.

Oh wow Alex, great job. Really fooled me haha.

Looks terrific, nice work!

This is really great work. I have a friend who is into this sorta thing. He paints minatures and creates entire scenes. He asked me if I could take some shots of it for him. I would love any advice you have to make the scene look realistic.

This is really great work. I have a friend who is into this sorta thing. He paints minatures and creates entire scenes. He asked me if I could take some shots of it for him. I would love any advice you have to make the scene look realistic.

Thanks!
Firs of all, I did not set up the scene myself. You can probably still find it today in this museum in Boston (was it a museum? not sure ...). So I had no tripod and no control of light or anything.

If think you qualify for shooting miniature scenes since I have seen some of your macro work if i remember . DOF can be a problem if you get very close.

I think a background really helps, either a painting or maybe a printed landscape. If you do not shoot b&w, make sure the colours of th e scene blend in nicely with those on the background.

for a start I would maybe use some very diffuse light.

also, of course, perspective is important. as far as i remember this was more or less the only possible perspective where the whole scene would not look totally fake ...

Its really fun looking, did you do a story like this?

Most reactions

Back