before you were born

I would agree with what was said, about the rushed and not technically sound features adding to the pictures. In those types of situations, a nice "clean" pictures does not translate the urgency or in some cases fear that must have been felt at those times.

this was taken in 1967 with Pentax Spotmatic and tri-x, developed in whatever was in the brown bottle. I have no idea what the shutter speed or aperture was.

I was out in my jeep doing MedCap on civilians when I inadvertently (believe me) ended up in the very middle of a helicopter assault and a fierce firefight. Only dared to take this one and then hid my head until tanks and more troops came up and the area was secured.

Negative long gone, just this one battered print remains.

warphotoya2.jpg

I just listed the most replied threads in the BW gallery, this is how i came across this picture. this thread was at the top. absolutely fantastic shot. so sad that you don't have the negative though. Looks like a scene that popped out of scene from "Platoon"

appreciate you sharing this picture.

I had it easy, believe me.
It was the grunts that suffered.

and I didn't go to protect the country. I went because politicians made me; pols who weren't afraid of a little blood and guts - as long as it wasn't their own. I spent 24 years in the service - retiring as a full colonel.

Regardless of your views, thank you for your service.

That picture is priceless!

Great shot. That made me feel like I have been there. Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks, I was beginning to think that no one reads any of my posts.
I'm happy you like the article - if that was what you were replying to.

Lew

Hi Lew. Good to see you post.

Very interesting read about the restaurant in the small village.

Loved the story Lew.. It was well written.. I cant imagine how strange that must have been to be standing with that farmer.. I was born about 12 years after the 1st shot that was posted.. These types of photos are very humbling to me. I loooove old photos of any kind.. These though always, always seem to make me cry.. lol always.. lol.. Thank you for sharing!

If you look at it, the technical values aren't much at all and composition isn't maximum but what it does have is immediacy and reality - (completely by accident). A viewer just knows that life is happening big time right in front of the camera.

I was lucky to be there with a camera.

You know what? It's an awesome picture, period.

Some photos are great because they're art. They're carefully composed and are moving because they're beautiful.

Others are great because of what they are pictures of. This is one such picture, and it is awesome.

Most reactions

Back