begiiner want some advice

whammytoinks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im planning to buy my first camera.
im thinking buying d3100 d5100 or t3 t3i.
i want to ask if its ok to buy refurbished as my first camera?
by the way im from philippines so i cant use the warranty that come from it
so should i buy refurbished or brand new?
if refurbished i find some nikon on cameta.
d3100 @ $280
d5100 @ $380
both body only.
and for lens im planning to have
18-105 @ $210
gonna use it for vacation trips and some events. more like all around lens.
is it ok for that use?
im also interested in landscape and wildlife photography.
can i get a good shot with that lens?

my max budget is 750$ includiing the essential accesories and little things for starting photography.
2 battery, sd card, bag (toploader?) and some filter and cleaning kits.

im open for suggestion and advice for better option

Refurbish is fine, used to save more. The D3100+18-105 should fit your budget and usage nicely.

thanks for reply. as i was searching for reviews and accessory to fill in my needs. i find this d80 or d90 refurbed. now im more confused.
the body choice would d3100 d5100 d80 or d90. can u suggest a good body for beginner who's eager to learn and grow with photogprahy?

The D3100 or D80 are not in the same league as the D5100 or D90. The D5100 or D90 are much, much better camera bodies. Personally, if I had to choose one of those 4 it would be the D90. I have a D90 and it is an excellent body. It has a built-in focus motor so it is able to use any autofocus lens Nikon has ever made (unlike the D3100 and D5100 which do not have a built-in focus motor), it has a built-in Commander mode for off-camera flash (which the D3100 and D5100 do not have), it has dual control wheels which allows much easier setting of exposure values, it has a top-mounted LCD that shows critical values at a glance.

The 18-105 lens is going to be quite short for wildlife unless you can get quite close to them. It may be a good all-around lens, I don't know having not used one personally, but it is going to be rather short for wildlife.

As Scott said above, the D90 would be your best bet. It's feature set is far superior to that of the 3000 and 5000 series Nikons.

thanks craig. i guess ill look for d90 then. 18-105 jst for all around ang learning basics. gonna buy prime and tele to but not now gonna look for refurb d90 and 18-105. is filter really essential?polarize and nd filter? and can u recommend a cheap but good low profile bag with easy accessn to camera

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for reply. as i was searching for reviews and accessory to fill in my needs. i find this d80 or d90 refurbed. now im more confused.
the body choice would d3100 d5100 d80 or d90. can u suggest a good body for beginner who's eager to learn and grow with photogprahy?

D90 if budget allows. Captain is right "It's feature set is far superior to that of the 3000 and 5000 series Nikons." and it will also prepare you better when it is time to upgrade to 7000 series or full frame. Wish I had the budget for it.

Absolutely go with the Nikon D5100 with the 18-105mm lens.
Big improvement over the D3100.
The D5100 has much of the hardware of the D7000 especially same sensor which means excellent low light performance.

thanks craig. i guess ill look for d90 then. 18-105 jst for all around ang learning basics. gonna buy prime and tele to but not now gonna look for refurb d90 and 18-105. is filter really essential?polarize and nd filter? and can u recommend a cheap but good low profile bag with easy accessn to camera

Clear or UV filters are not necessary, but I personally recommend them. You will find as many (or more) people around here who do not. They might cause a minor degradation in your images (if you see that they are then just unscrew it and take it off), however I have personally had a lens protected from damage by using one so I will continue to use them. What others, including you do, is entirely up to them. Do some research on the subject and decide for yourself.

Polarizing (CPL), Neutral Density (ND), and Graduated Neutral Density (GND) filters are for special purposes. When you need one there is not a lot that will do what they do, but the majority of the time you will not need them. I'd recommend not purchasing them immediately. See the following paragraph.

Filters come in many grades. They are optical devices since they are in the light path in front of your lens. Purchasing a cheap filter can, and usually will, have a noticeable affect on your photographs. Get good-quality filters or get nothing. It's really that simple. The good ones are expensive and they are worth the difference.

Everyone has their personal preference on camera bags and there are many, many different styles. I hesitate to recommend one since styles vary so much and the bags that I love you may hate. There are excellent BRANDS that I would not hesitate to recommend though; Think Tank Photo, Tamrac, LowePro, Billingham, Crumpler, and Domke come to mind but there are probably others. Like filters, don't get a cheap one. Make sure it is waterproof or has a waterproof cover and is larger than you need right now so you can grow into it.

thanks for insights. il be looking for d90 witg 18-105.
edit. is there a huge jump from d80 to d90?

edit: i think ill be buying d80 refurb and 18-105mm lens rufurb. im broke if i try to extend to d90 or is it worth it?
gonna buy lenses for the first year or 2. then upgrade my camera to prosumer level after. is it a good idea?

Last edited:
if you can't pull the d90, I'd get a d5100 over the d80

Most reactions

Back